LegacyGT.com

My test drive observations

Finally test drove a Legacy today. It was an automatic white Legacy GT Ltd. I have never imagined that an automatic sedan can be so much fun to drive! These are my observations: The good - Bright and easy to read instrument panel, aluminum and wood accent interior, fairly low wind noise, adjustable heated seats, heated wipers and side mirrors, handling, sweet engine howl, and of course the turb-OH! The average - I thought the brakes were average (I went from 100-0 mph), driver seat comfort, rear leg room, shallow trunk space, and sound system. The bad - road noise from the tires, the center brake light with the spoiler's LCD brake light, window tint is not an option, and the sportsshift is slow to response - when up-shifting at 5K RPM, it wouldn't shift until it hits redline. Overall, I really liked the car. I'm about 90% sure that this is the car I will purchase. DC!

[quote name='myUsername']the sportsshift is slow to response - when up-shifting at 5K RPM, it wouldn't shift until it hits redline. [/QUOTE] you're embellishing a little bit here. at about 5700-5800 is when you need to think about selecting the next gear.... by the time the needle actually hits redline (or darn close to it) you will be in the next gear. Sportshift works as quickly as the manual does... think about it... hit the button, about .7 seconds later and you're in the next gear (and you havent lifted off throttle) Now in a manual... you have to come off gas, derpress clutch, select gear, relaease clutch pedal, engage throttle... takes just as long.... and all the while you have come off of throttle. oh, and you get a 55/45% torque split with the automatic and its a 5EAT. The only thing you give up with the automatic is launching capabilities.

[quote name='wunderkind']Urrr... you get less drivetrain loss since there's no torque converter. Besides, rowing the stick is way fun. I find the steering wheel buttons on the 5eat cumbersome during turns.[/QUOTE] me too, can't use those unless you're going straight. when i sport mode (manually changing), i find that i just anticipate the shifting to compinsate for the delay. seems to work well. the only thing i'm not used to is downshifting into corners.

Sportshift doesn't work anywhere NEAR as quickly as a shifting a manual... unless you're just not good at driving a stick. If I want to upshift quickly, I can do it a hell of a lot faster than .7 seconds. It takes me around .7 - 1 seconds when I'm just driving normally, i.e. taking my time with the shifter.

[quote name='myUsername']Finally test drove a Legacy today. It was an automatic white Legacy GT Ltd. I have never imagined that an automatic sedan can be so much fun to drive! These are my observations: The good - Bright and easy to read instrument panel, aluminum and wood accent interior, fairly low wind noise, adjustable heated seats, heated wipers and side mirrors, handling, sweet engine howl, and of course the turb-OH! The average - I thought the brakes were average (I went from 100-0 mph), driver seat comfort, rear leg room, shallow trunk space, and sound system. The bad - road noise from the tires, the center brake light with the spoiler's LCD brake light, window tint is not an option, and the sportsshift is slow to response - when up-shifting at 5K RPM, it wouldn't shift until it hits redline. Overall, I really liked the car. I'm about 90% sure that this is the car I will purchase. DC![/QUOTE] Man! You stomped on the brakes going 100 miles an hour?? Oh! Not to mention you ran it up to 100 miles an hour? Reason why I don't like to get cars off the lot. Never know who is raking them over the coals. Was this car broke in? I sure hope so.

[quote name='Xaqtly']I can do it a hell of a lot faster than .7 seconds. It takes me around .7 - 1 seconds when I'm just driving normally, i.e. taking my time with the shifter.[/QUOTE] thats what im getting at... driving normally... why does eveyone here think that you have to race the car?

[quote name='Bob N']Man! You stomped on the brakes going 100 miles an hour?? Oh! Not to mention you ran it up to 100 miles an hour? Reason why I don't like to get cars off the lot. Never know who is raking them over the coals. Was this car broke in? I sure hope so.[/QUOTE] maybe BS? :D

I believe Xaqtly was referring to driving normally and that his shifts during "spirited" driving would be much quicker than the 5EAT would ever be in Sport mode. Don't think he intended to imply that he drives it like he stole it all the time :lol: SBT
- Pro amore Dei et patriam et populum -

100mph on the Legacy is not as abusive as it sounds. In fifth gear at 4000rpms you are going approximately 95 mph and it is very easy to top a hundred. However, where were you able to go up to 100mph and come back to a complete stop without endangering traffic?

Yeah, I was responding specifically to this: [QUOTE] Sportshift works as quickly as the manual does...[/QUOTE] which is wrong. Sportshift does not work as quickly as the manual does, not by a long shot. If I choose to shift my car slowly, then yes the speed is about the same. But the auto tranny doesn't have the option to shift faster, and I do.

[quote name='Bob N']Very much so. Improper break-in can lead to warped rotors later[/QUOTE] Although I agree with that I don't think it's the fault of the dirver. Modern cars these days should have rotors and brakes of such design to avoid these problems no matter what the driver does (within reason).

[quote name='Xaqtly']Yeah, I was responding specifically to this: which is wrong. Sportshift does not work as quickly as the manual does, not by a long shot. If I choose to shift my car slowly, then yes the speed is about the same. But the auto tranny doesn't have the option to shift faster, and I do.[/QUOTE] That's fine man, but who here is driving their car like a 500hp race car and no granny shifting, double clutching? If you are driving it like a 500hp race car, I hope you realize its a legacy and not a race car. It's a very nice midsized sedan with a fair amount of power :) I hope you have fun with your lightening fast shifts in your LA traffic... I'll stick to the automatic and have my fun with it when I'm not in daily traffic.

Well I think you missed my point. My point was that I can shift faster, not that I do every time I drive the car. Those of you with auto trannies don't have the option to shift faster, that's the distinction I was making. And really, if you're not planning on driving hard every now and then, why did you buy a 250 HP Legacy (or 210 HP Outback XT) instead of a Prius or a Scion Xb or something? And I never double clutch, because that's a waste of time. I do rev match though, because it's easier on the entire drivetrain than not rev matching.

I didnt miss your point.. I was giving you hard time :) The automatic is peppy enough IMO and can easily outrun most cars on the road... I also don't see the need in shifting a car that has a 5EAT Sportshift when I have a weekend GC8 with 300+hp :) -Kevin

Wow, I only left this thread less than 24 hours and it's already 3 pages long:) . In response to me braking from 100mph, I didn't stomp on the brakes. It was a firm push on the brake pedal, but did it in a controlled manner. That's why I said I thought the brakes were average, because I really only tested the brakes that one time. As far as the automatic sportshift, I think it's just a matter of getting used to it. Once you learn its timing, I think it'll be just as fun as the manual. I'll most likely get the automatic, just because it will be my daily car and be driven in rush hour traffic. When I feel like driving a manual, I guess I can always borrow my brother's Celica GT-S :rolleyes:. The salesman that test drove the car with me has only been working at the dealership for a month. He encouraged me to test drive it...and drive it hard. He said that it was the first time he's taken out the Legacy, since most buyers test drive the WRX. It had 45 miles when we left the lot and 65 when we came back. He was cool because not once did he talk about pricing or when I would buy the car...maybe a rookie mistake? DC!

[quote name='myUsername']In response to me braking from 100mph, I didn't stomp on the brakes. It was a firm push on the brake pedal, but did it in a controlled manner. That's why I said I thought the brakes were average, because I really only tested the brakes that one time.[/QUOTE] From what I've read it sounds like the LGT could benefit from performance brake pads to improve initial bite -- something like Hawk HPS or EBC Greenstuff. Otherwise, as big as the brakes are they shouldn't have a problem stopping the car in a hurry.

Archived