LegacyGT.com

Bad clunking coming from the front right....

bluechipbmw

Today...I started to hear a noticeable clunking sound coming from the front driver side. It's definately suspenion related. I dont believe its the end links but rather the front strut.

When I opened my hood I did notice the rubber piece under the hood damaged which aligned perfectly with the strust...Is it possible hitting a bump hard enough it would have done that? I can also hear the noise very slighly when I try rocking the car.

I did have the bilsteins specB revC installed over 3 months ago so I doubt the install was bad since it's been 3 months.

What do you think broke?

I did notice the rubber piece under the hood damaged which aligned perfectly with the strust...

You'll need to discribe the damage a little better, there should be three nuts holding the top hat in place. They are right around that rubber thing, which is the top hat. These are very easy to overtighten, and they can snap if they are not torqued properly. That would cause the strut to come loose off it's mounting, and could very well cause the noises your hearing. Could be other things too. there should be a nut holding the strut in place where it comes through the top hat.

Better discription of top hat and strut/spring will be needed to tell you much more. I wouldn't drive it untill you figure out what is going on. Loose moving parts can tear things up in a hurry.

Post a pic if you can...

All I need now is a hill holder and a center passing light...

The damage I see...is the padding that is under the hood (that black padding that is covered on the under the inside of the hood). The pad is like a black foam...and you can see something poked through it and damaged the padding...where it's damaged it lines up with wthe drivers strut.

Also...shouldn't this sound be constant? As I drove it again this morning I didn't hear it...but then again I didn't hear yesterday it until I drove again on the highway.

Common sense would say that you should jack up that corner of the car and see if the spring/strut assembly is loose/damaged/components missing.

Does the damage on the hood insulation line up with the exact center of the strut assembly, or does it line up to one of the 3 studs from the top hat assembly?

Archived