LegacyGT.com

COBB TURBO Heat shield

ivtec

I was told this is a new one w/ the cut out...got me though? I e-mailed Cobb pics last week, left a voicemail and still have not received a response...so much for falling all over you with service.

I just need to know for sure if I need to buy a new one...the F'n thing is rattling like a bearing in a hub cap!

Rehab is for quitters.

Yah, a great mystery to getting the Cobb shield on is if the original bracket has somehow changed position or forgotten altogether. When I had my Subie show put my shield on, they were like "Uh, where'zit go?" until they realized that they forgot to reinstall the bracket.

When you pull the old one off look for rub marks, that is how I finally found mine.

Sometimes the aftermarket UP will shift the turbo a bit or even the brackets when you put them back on makes it not sit just right.

I feel your pain I had the same problem. In fact, until I found it I went back to the trimmed stocker for a while

I broke down today and bot a new ...BRAND new...Heat shield. The rattling is driving me crazy! I hope it works.

i can almost guarantee that it is rubbing on your tranny, take the old one off and bend the bottom corner a little bit and its silent for good.

i can almost guarantee that it is rubbing on your tranny, take the old one off and bend the bottom corner a little bit and its silent for good.

I suspect it is. What I don't get is that it didn't rattle at all for the first 5 months I had it on...now it is lights out!

Also, the member I bot the HS from said it was warriantied so I DK what is going on. I decided this needs to be fixed for good so a new one it is...

Rehab is for quitters.

No rattles here. Josh@Cobb installed mine 2 days ago when he put the last tweaks on the 5EAT downpipe (new generation) on my car. Car was used as a donor for him to finalize fitment. Hope no rattles develop but I'm quite sure he knows what he's doing.

Must be noice being in the Cobb area. I suppose a Cobb protune would be nice.

I hope there are no more rattles....just like the pirate with a steering wheel in his pants says.....it's drivng me nuts...

Rehab is for quitters.

well as soon as it stops raining here im taking mine off, smashing it with a hammer and sending it to cobb!

SERIOUSLY, i want to hear about their reaction... i hate rattles, can you tell?

I hear you brother. When did you buy yours? I figured if I got a new one, I would have no issues....I hope! GL with yours!

Rehab is for quitters.

i bought like a month ago from KOP, i called cobb and he said he didnt think it could be the older version and wanted me to take pics and email them... ive been so busy lately i didnt bother yet...

ive tried messing with it like 3x and thought i had it licked but then the rattle came back..

btw would it be so bad to take it off?

Welll^^^ That's not good news. If I need to take it off and bend it, then that is what I will do...If I bot another one and it rattles, I will lose my mind.

As far as taking it off...I have read that it is not good because the shield REALLY deflects that heat away from the IC...

Rehab is for quitters.

well i tried bending it slightly, no dice, tried some washers, strike again.... tighten bolts?

nada!

heres what worked:

its called the cinder block mod :cool:

"gently" tap cobb hs with cinder block and walla! rattle goes away! :p

even Little Man my cat approves...

before anyone says damn dude what a waste, that was dumb!

thats just how i roll... i actually got great pleasure in doing that...

0929081735.thumb.jpg.84cc2eb2f476595a60b3910f71095f26.jpg

0929081735a.thumb.jpg.5b9c0601a9138defc87a5a7f6ed98713.jpg

Holy Smokes! I bet that guy who tried to jam you on the turbo is glad he finally made good! Good for you...I bet the release was well worth it...just think, therapy could have cost you double the $50!

BTW, did you need to take off the IC to best get at the bolts on the heat shield? I have a Perrin TMIC and don't really feel like removing it when I tackle it this weekend. I hope I get it straight...

Rehab is for quitters.

Archived