LegacyGT.com

A must read for all Subaru fans....

Philpug

[ame=http://www.amazon.com/Where-Suckers-Moon-Advertising-Campaign/dp/0679740422/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1/105-8500726-5029264?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1181066477&sr=8-1]Where the Suckers Moon[/ame]. It tells the story of Subaru through the late 80's into the 90's and how advertising played its roll. A great read.

I bought it last week and I'm about 80% thru it already. Everyone should keep in mind that this book focuses on the advertising campaign for Subaru around 1991-92. The first few chapters do go into great detail about how Subaru entered the North American market in the late '60s and how SOA was formed. However the later chapters cover much more material concerning the advertising aspect rather than the details about Subaru and the product line per se. Sure he talks about the Legacy and the SVX, but just when you think he is going to reveal more "behind the scenes" secrets, he goes off on another advertising tangent. Overall I highly recommend this book, but it gets a bit frustrating at times.

What's changed at Subaru since? Market the cars ... not Sheryl and Lance. What's hip about the restyled Tribeca? Yet, it carries a "hip" name. SOA needs to hire some outsiders ... hopefully Toyota will provide some influence. Not that Subaru will dominate or ever become big, but they need to find their niche and stay in tune with them.

I find it ironic. The book is about poor marketing and it has the title 'Where the Suckers Moon". what does that have to do with marketing and or Subaru????

I dunno. Thats gotta be one of the stupidest book titles I have ever seen. The picture on the cover is equally lame. :mad:

I assume this is about the Paul Hogan ad compaign since that and the Outback are what saved Subaru. Maybe Subaru needs to bring Paul Hogan back.

No this is before the Legacy Outback debuted. Its the intro. of the Legacy and the SVX.

No this is before the Legacy Outback debuted. Its the intro. of the Legacy and the SVX.

Whatever ad campaign that was wasn't too memorable then. The SVX sold like crap and Subaru was in deep shite until the Outback came out.

Archived