LegacyGT.com

Semi-permanent mount for AccessPort 2.0

• 7 months later...
yeah i have this set up.. i yanked it out once by mistake and now i can't change the direction of that air vent.. ha,.. oh well :-p

yeah well college = limited cash flow from what ive picked up around here can use AP for checking boost etc. Eventually im going to do an Apilar boost gauge (since i have nav cubby is out of question) but i think it would be nice to be able to clip on there when you want to use it for things like that, and I will likely use econ fuel map often for car ride from RI to CT (school to home) as ive had too many speeding tickets and i just cruise control it home down I95

yeah well college = limited cash flow from what ive picked up around here can use AP for checking boost etc. Eventually im going to do an Apilar boost gauge (since i have nav cubby is out of question) but i think it would be nice to be able to clip on there when you want to use it for things like that, and I will likely use econ fuel map often for car ride from RI to CT (school to home) as ive had too many speeding tickets and i just cruise control it home down I95

haha, yeah...

college..

no money,,

speeding tickets..

i know what you mean :spin:

• 3 weeks later...
Funny... I have the same setup. Guys at Best Buy told me they had nothing like that, wandered around and found it. Works great, and they have several options too. If you want a case, just buy a digi camera case for about 9 bux. It is nice having the performance option to see the 0-60 and 1/4 mile. The rest is kinda just a versatile extra guage.

• 2 years later...
  • 8 years later...
I couldn't find much on this forum about people doing this, so I thought I'd share my approach. I actually got this idea from a post I saw on Cobbs forums.

What you'll need:

1.) AP v2.0 (of course)

2.) Cell phone/PDA/mp3 player vent mount kit (something like this):

http://tbn0.google.com/images?q=tbn:iTkbCQMienXoZM:http://images.smalldog.com/resize.php%3Ffile%3D/hw/sde/vent_mount.jpg%26height%3D200%26width%3D200

3.) Retractable mini USB cable:

http://tbn0.google.com/images?q=tbn:CRXnP5Vw7jeWbM:http://www.worldofcables.com/store/catalog/ZIP-USB-C03.jpg

You shouldn't need any hand tools to do this, I didn't. Also, you should be able to get both parts at any local electronics store, I got both in one trip to Best Buy.

So, what you do is install the vent mount onto the drivers side vent left of the gauge cluster. Make sure the foot of the mount is resting on the lower lip of the vent, not one of the louvers. Then attach the other half of the mount to the AP, usually with included double-sided tape (although you may want to try something stronger as the DS tape doesn't always hold well in high temps).

Next plug in the OBDII connector from the AP and remove the fuse box door. There is a small opening right by the OBDII port that leads up to the same area where the fuse box is at. Plug the USB cable into the OBDII connector and then run it up through to the fuse box area and press the button on the cable to take up the slack.

Now what you want to do is run the other end of the cable up inbetween the dash and the plastic cover that sits under the steering column (this is where the thin retractable cable comes into play). You will need to pull the one side of the underdash cover away to do this.

Run the USB cable as close to the vent as you can while still hiding it in the space between the 2 dash parts. Leave just enough slack to plug into the AP without the cable pulling on it.

You want the coil part of the cable to sit in the area where the fuse box is. This way it's hidden and will not be bouncing around while driving. Once you have the cable ran and hidden the way you want it, just put your fuse box door back on, plug in the AP and you're ready to go. You've got a pretty clean looking and easily hideable/removable solution (for dealer visits).

NOTE:

-With my vent mount I'm able to hide the end of the USB cable behind the mount when not in use.

-I did this mostly to use the AP as an extra gauge when needed. I wanted this to be easily removable but be more tidy than having a USB cable across my feet while driving.

-As long as the AP is plugged in it will receive power. For a more permanent solution you could wire a switch into the USB cable.

-Without tinted windows glare can be an issue in very bright sunlight.

Still, for the money people spend on the AP I think this is a cheap way to get a little more out of it. Even if you only use it for track time/troubleshooting I find it very convenient.

On a side note another thing I did for datalogging is to run a USB 2.0 extension cable from the area behind the fuse box door to the area inbetween the passenger seat and center console. The idea is I can remove the fuse box door, plug in my OBDII-USB cable to the USB extension and the OBD port (tie up or tuck excess cable in fuse box area) and then plug my laptop, sitting on pass seat or floor into the other end of USB cable. I'm using the VAG-COM cable with ECUExplorer and didn't see any issues with it working over the USB extension cable. Another easy/convenient/stealth solution.

Sweet write up [emoji108]

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Archived