LegacyGT.com

Help! Does anybody know...?

JJK

Hi, excuse my ignorance, I am about to install a new Nautilus horn in my Legacy 5M SE 2006. I searched and searched but I have been unable to find a clear answer to the following question:

Is the Legacy "ground lead to horn button" or "hot positive lead to horn button".

I am trying to follow the correct wiring diagram that differs depending on the above.

Thank you for your assistance!!:confused:

Hi, excuse my ignorance, I am about to install a new Nautilus horn in my Legacy 5M SE 2006. I searched and searched but I have been unable to find a clear answer to the following question:

Is the Legacy "ground lead to horn button" or "hot positive lead to horn button".

I am trying to follow the correct wiring diagram that differs depending on the above.

Thank you for your assistance!!:confused:

Almost everything is ground in the Legacy. Want the easy way. Get an Add-a-fuse and install it in the horn fuse slot that is in the fuse box in the engine compartment. This provides a hot lead to the horn or if you wish a horn relay.

The horn relay is the best way to go. Add a hot lead from the battery to the horn(s) from the relay.

"Belief does not make truth. Evidence makes truth. And belief does not make evidence."

Thank you for your reply, I actually bought the add a fuse (intuitively more than actual knowledge), but because the position of the 15A horn fuse in the fuse box behind the battery, I was unable to push it all the way as the cable (new hot lead) from the add-afuse was in the way no matter if I rotated it 180 degrees. Additionally, it stated in the box that the accessory should not draw more than 10 A and the Nautilus is rated at 18 A. I also thought that was the way to go, because I did not want to remove the front bumper. But even if you were able to plug it (I wish you told me how you did it), where would you safely place the Nautilus, which having a built in air compressor, requires a relatively protected place. I believe in front of the radiator, as some posts describe, may work well for the Hellas but probably not for this one.

I puchased a few extra plastic rivets from the dealership ($ 2.25 a piece if you can believe it), and one of these weekends when I am bored to death will tackle the bumper. Now I know which diagram to follow, thank you again.

Sorry, one more question on the add-a fuse, it would certainly work if to activate the relay you would need not more than 10 A, right? The 18 A for the horn would bypass the OEM horn circuit using the relay , right? My ignorance on the subject is larger than the universe!!!

Sorry, one more question on the add-a fuse, it would certainly work if to activate the relay you would need not more than 10 A, right? The 18 A for the horn would bypass the OEM horn circuit using the relay , right? My ignorance on the subject is larger than the universe!!!

RIGHT. The horn will be directly powered by the battery via the relay. The relay doesn't even pull 1 amp. There are different size add-a-fuses. I used a small pin one. The power lead bends straight up. Tight fit, but it will work.

"Belief does not make truth. Evidence makes truth. And belief does not make evidence."

Thank you again, I will give it a shot. I did not know you could bend the hot lead of the addafuse. I will conect the 30 port of the relay to the battery interposing a 20A fuse, the 87 will be connected to the new horn, and the negative connection of the horn will be to ground. My doubt involves ports 85 & 86. I believe I should connect 85 to the addafuse lead, this will be the connection to the horn button. And connect 86 to the positive in the battery. Does it make sense to you?

I believe this will also preserve the original horns functioning.

The fuses are power side, not ground.

85 goes to add-a-fuse

86 goes to ground

When you press the horn button, the power goes through the add-a-fuse and horn fuse circuit

The above energizes the electromagnetic circuit that closes the contacts between 30 and 87

30 goes to positive terminal on battery

87 goes to plus side of horn(s)

the above presumes that the horn is grounded to the car chassis.

The installation went perfect thanks to your info. I placed it behind the grill, it looks well protected, and you do not notice it . I used an L shaped bracket to hold it and used and M6 screw to attach it to a vertical metalic piece in front to the radiator. The wiring went perfect, it took more time to try to figure out how to make it neat and elegant. For the tight space with the addafuse, I got around it by buying two, I cut the side wire of the one I place in the original OEM fuse slot, and the second inserted in the first at 90 degrees to it. In this way the hot lead from the second addafuse sits higher and on top of the other fuses. No need to bend it.

I used 18 gauge wire for the relay 85 & 86 ports and 14 gauge for the rest. The horn sounds sooo loud. The nicest feature is that if you tap the horn button lightly and fast you activate only the OEM horn, but if you press harder of slightly longer, the Nautilus comes to life. The other nice feature is that in the future if I want to replace it, I have very easy access as the grill is very easy to remove and place back. No need to remove the bumper.

Thank you again for your post, it helped me a lot!!!

Archived