LegacyGT.com

question about claying

so i picked up the mothers claybar kit from walmart (maybe thats my problem lol) after checking ocds page (great info btw). i have a white legacy and have quite a few of those orange dots on my car that will not come off with a standard wash, and was hoping claying would help. i washed the car, then busted out the clay. the directions with the clay said to not push hard on the clay. without pushing it seemed like the clay really wasnt doing anything. if i pushed hard on the orange spots some of them would come out, but none would come out if i didnt apply a bunch of pressure. i did the entire care with light pressure and it didnt notice a difference in the orange dots still covering my read bumper and doors. was i doing something wrong, using an inferior product, or just hoping it would take these dots out and it isnt intended to do that? thanks!

For red spots you have to use some pressure, lots of rubbing with lots of lubricant (lol that sounds bad I have to get my mind out of the gutter :)). Remember these over the counter clays are mild so you need a little more elbow grease to get them to remove contaminants like rust spots. When I have a car like this to do it hurts a little afterwards.

BE CAREFUL! Sometimes when you rub too hard you could drop the clay or fling it by mistake into the bushes :D.

For red spots you have to use some pressure, lots of rubbing with lots of lubricant (lol that sounds bad I have to get my mind out of the gutter :)). Remember these over the counter clays are mild so you need a little more elbow grease to get them to remove contaminants like rust spots. When I have a car like this to do it hurts a little afterwards.

BE CAREFUL! Sometimes when you rub too hard you could drop the clay or fling it by mistake into the bushes :D.

Attack your Wii-mote wrist strap to it.

It is still ugly.

You can try stopping at Autozone (or probably most any other car-centric store) and pick up the ClayMagic Claybar. That's a good bar, it's cheap, and readily available.

You might also find that the spots won't entirely go away because the rust will have stained the clearcoat. Remember that your clearcoat and paint are porous. It may be necessary to use a chemical paint cleaner (like Klasse AIO) to clean the staining, and it may still be necessary to machine polish the paint to get all the red spots out. The claybar only removes the metal which is the point of oxidation (rust), so if the rust is only on the piece of metal, the red spot comes out. If the rust has stained the paint/clearcoat, removing the metal with the claybar will only prevent further staining.

Remember that the orange dots are just indications of damage, but clay isn't supposed to remove the dots themselves. It is just supposed to remove the contamination. The orange dots are the rust stains on the paint and are best removed with a paint cleaner. As long as the surface is smooth, then don't worry about the dots. You'll get those with a polish or paint cleaner later.

“Cleanliness becomes more important as godliness becomes more unlikely.”

O C D E T A I L S . C O M

OCDETAILS BLOG

• 2 weeks later...
thanks for the responses, i completely forgot i posted this. could you guys give a little more info on paint cleaner? is that just the regular car wash stuff? something that would require a buffer? thanks!

Don't worry about it. You have a car that is only a year old. I seriously doubt you need a paint cleaner. It doesn't come in a car wash though. It would be a polish type product that would best be applied by machine.

“Cleanliness becomes more important as godliness becomes more unlikely.”

O C D E T A I L S . C O M

OCDETAILS BLOG

those mother's clays are kinda firm. they do fly out of my hands some times.

i started using Prima's clay www.detailersparadise.com and they are softer

and not so soft like Griot's clay. ive yet to drop it. :D

this is moderate soft so will not haze your finish, but wax does come of

a little. griot's clay wax stays as they are super soft. i use light

pressure with clay. no issues with hazing.

Archived