LegacyGT.com

Check Engine Light :(

Hello all,

I have an 02 Legacy GT. My check engine light turned on while driving. I have a shade under 74.3k miles on the car. I checked all fluid levels, and nothing looks out of the ordinary under the hood. The car seems like it is running normally.

I have 2 questions:

1. Could this Check Engine light be just a normal service light for 75k miles?

2. I am running concentrated fuel system cleaner (Gumout) in this tank. Can this possibly cause the check engine light to come on?

Thanks in advance for your help.

You may have thrown an Oxygen sensor or some other sensor.

Go to your local parts store (Advance Auto Parts Does This) and borrow their OBDII code reader and get the code printed out. Post the code here and ask for input or call the dealer and ask them what the code means.

An easy way to get rid of the light(If it's a one time fluke) is to disconnect the battery for about 10 minutes and it will reset the ECU and shut the light off until it fouls again.

Let us know how it's going.

Let's kick this pig!

Go to Autozone, and they'll hook it up to the OBD computer for free. Most places have the newer tools, so it says the code AND the deffinition right on the screen.

If the guy is nice enough he'll clear the CEL as well.

thanks for the replies. I am going to try resetting the ECU tonight. I am actually thinking of buying an ODB2 reader for future situations like this. thanks in advance. I will post the codes when i get them (if resetting the ECU doesnt work)

Find out what the code is FIRST before resetting the ECU. Resetting the ECU is like sweeping the dirt under the table. The dirt is still there and eventually you will need to deal with it.

damn. so i opened up my hood and noticed that a fuel line from the fuel filter is cut and leaking! whomever changed the fuel filter last looks like they clamped one of the hose clamps a little to tight and it cut into the hose over time. could that have thrown the CEL? i still havent gotten the code... forgot the damn reader at work (im smart) the fuel leak doesnt look major but its definitely been leaking. i cant believe i didnt notice that!

im going to replace the line and while im there the filter. i have never replaced the fuel filter on a subaru before, is there anything that I need to know?

thanks again all

so i opened up my hood and noticed that a fuel line from the fuel filter is cut and leaking!

The CEL could be from low fuel pressure or injector misfire. Check the code so we can settle the bets. Oh, and fix the leak. Good catch!

Let's kick this pig!

ok i hooked up the reader and my car is throwing up 2 P0065 codes. according the the manual that came with my reader, this is the "air assisted injector control range/performance"

seeing as how there is a fuel leak to my fuel filter, am i safe to assume that the leak is the cause of the CEL due to the injectors possibly not receiving enough gas? i bought all the parts to replace the filter and hose but i got 3/8 hose instead of 5/16 on accident so i have to wait until im back in town next week. not driving my car til then needless to say.

thanks in advance

Archived