LegacyGT.com

Paint and Rock Chip Question

issai

Does anyone know if the Legacy paint primer is dark, vs. white on some other cars?

I just got a silver Legacy late last week. Immaculate paint, maybe at most 3 rock chips in the hood that was touched up by previous owner. A door ding here and there, no biggie.

In a matter of a couple days of Socal freeway driving, however now I'm seeing many more dark spots-- rock chips definitely, but it looks like the paint primer is dark-- not sure? My latest trips have taken me onto the usual truck routes-- the 5, the 710, the 210... Avg. speed probably around 75 mph. A lot of chips are on the front of the car (bumper, hood, lower grille / foglight area). A couple have even made it up onto my A-pillars!

Having been searching for a Legacy for months, I knew going into one that the paint was one weakness-- but the thing is as thin and fragile as gold leaf or something! Or that silver stuff you scratch off lottery tickets. For example, on my A-pillar I can see a spot where the paint has been chipped, but the paint hasn't completely come off-- it's clinging on for dear life, rolled up, and flapping away in the wind. Kinda funny actually.

Do any fellow Socalers find your cars pitted and chipped like mad? What do I do now with the paint chips, and going forward? I'd thought about getting the car Clear-Bra'ed within a week or so but no sense now that my car's already rock-sprayed like this...

quick, before it gets too bad, go get a clear bra installed

I guess I'm struggling whether I even care enough to spend $500-$700 for a Clear-bra install now *after* the car's been rock-sprayed. Previous to noticing all the rock chips, I would've been very eager in Clear-bra'ing and a bit more OCD'ed than I am now. Not so much anymore.

Unlike many other car-dorks here, I intend the Legacy to be my utility long-term daily-driver vehicle that I plan on owning for 10+ years if possible, so I'm actually not really that heart-broken-- yet.

But what's the other scenario, if I don't Clear-bra now? Even more rock chips-- possible paint starting to peel off like snakeskin? The rock chips are fine, but if they'll lead to some major paint defects later-- what can I do to repair the rock chips first? DIY touchup is ghetto... is there a way to get the hood, front grille, and front bumper professionally touched up and *then* should I Clear-bra it?

How much would a new hood + bumper cost?

I guess I need clear minds to help influence my decision. :p

• 1 month later...
I'm actually shocked how easily rocks are just stripping away the paint, especially on the bumper. They're stripping away paint like a bullet shot through forensics gel or something. This paint sh!t is crazy.

Archived