LegacyGT.com

Radio and dash dimming issue

ATB

Odd behavior started with the radio / clock / gauges today.

When I first turned the car on, the radio / climate controls looked to be dimmed as if the lights were on. The lights were not on. After a few minutes of driving, the radio and climate displays went off completely. Then they came back on. Minutes pass. The clock and the radio dim...then eventually come back. Then the dash dims to night level...then back. Then the clock and radio dim again with the passenger airbag light flickering. Then back to the radio being off. At this point I had gotten to my destination.

5 hours later I go home and the radio acts up for the 1st few minutes and then everything stays normal. Have not started the car again since.

I have had a boost gauge installed recently. If the connection the installer made tapping into the illumination signal is not quite right, could that be causing this problem? Based on the boost gauge and after market audio system install, I have a feeling the dealer is going to give me a hard time to look at this under warranty if the gauge install is not at fault.

Anyone have thoughts and/or similar experiences?

^^^+1

It could be your illumination connection, so try puzzled's suggestion.

Also, make sure that your battery terminals are nice and tight. A loose or corroded terminal could definately cause those symptoms (especially the flashing air-bag light).

• 2 years later...
Odd behavior started with the radio / clock / gauges today.

When I first turned the car on, the radio / climate controls looked to be dimmed as if the lights were on. The lights were not on. After a few minutes of driving, the radio and climate displays went off completely. Then they came back on. Minutes pass. The clock and the radio dim...then eventually come back. Then the dash dims to night level...then back. Then the clock and radio dim again with the passenger airbag light flickering. Then back to the radio being off. At this point I had gotten to my destination.

5 hours later I go home and the radio acts up for the 1st few minutes and then everything stays normal. Have not started the car again since.

I have had a boost gauge installed recently. If the connection the installer made tapping into the illumination signal is not quite right, could that be causing this problem? Based on the boost gauge and after market audio system install, I have a feeling the dealer is going to give me a hard time to look at this under warranty if the gauge install is not at fault.

Anyone have thoughts and/or similar experiences?

:confused: I had a similar experience. I had installed an FM Modulator to the radio and I used some wire connector from Radio Shack to steal power from the cigarette lighter. During the process I by accident touched two pins in the block connector and blew a few fuses. (It seems subaru joins different fuse connections in one cluster=annoying) Anyhow, I replaced the blown fuses, and since then I have had a very similar experience.

Its only when I have the lights on and the dimmer adjusts to night mode. Although my trip computer and clock along with the dashboard clusters have no issues, only the radio/climate control LCD screen has the isssue. It is as follows:

When the lights are dimmed when I turn on the headlights, the radio cluster LCD either doesn't dimm fully with the other clusters even when I try to adjust the ILL level, or it is very very dimm almost non-visible, and last but not least, it then flickers between the two states of brighter or much dimmer.

It is not effected at all when I try to adjust the ILL level, and I checked all the relavent fuses. I even went back in to rip the dashboard apart again twice and check all connections (because I know all connections must equal a full or closed circuit), and disconnected the battery and tried again, but still no luck.

Any ideas would be appreciated, because I won't even waste my time with the dealer on this one. ;)

Archived