LegacyGT.com

What are "Normal" Stage 2 noises?

I just completed an up-pipe and down-pipe install. It took me the better part of 9 hours. Unfortunately, I had a few things to overcome: one small jack, I was by myself, and I was only using hand tools. Since there are so many write-ups on this type of install (thanks to those who did them by the way) I won’t bore you all with the details. However, if a bunch of people ask, I can share/post.

Anyway now that’s done, I have a question. Now, I’m noticing I can hear the turbo “whine” much more than I used to. I noticed that some posts say that’s normal and others say they can’t hear it at all. The up and dp are catless and I left the shroud off the turbo. Is it normal to hear the turbo more than I used to or do I have a leak? How can I tell if I have an exhaust leak?

Thanks,

Brian

"What are normal stage2 noises?"

-Sirens (behind you)

-spinning rubber (if you have a better clutch)

-does grinning make a noise?

Exhaust leak sounds different then turbo noises.

Turbo noises are only noticeable under moderate to hard acceleration and it is more of a wooshing noise combined with waste gate flutter.

Catless will change your exhaust note as well.

If you do have an exhaust leak it is likely at the bottom of the up-pipe. Many threads you can search for to help with that.;)

I would cut the "shroud" (heatshield) and put it back on the turbo (do-able w/o taking off the TMIC, just a bit harder) you want to keep as much of that heat out of the engine bay (TMIC) as possible.

"HOLY COW" - usually comes from the passenger seat along with

"this is a four banger?!?" statements of unbelief.

other sounds include lots of turbo whining, woooshing from the center, front right of the dash, opening of your wallet to pay for more gas, and, for me, theres a 'wow' from the driver's seat sometimes.

i would also agree with blueGt and keep your shroud on, it reflects the heat and reduces heat soak to your TMIC

burbleburbleburbleburbleBWaaaahahaaaaswoooshhhshhflllthtbwAAAAAahhhahHHH!!!!

after reading this, it actually makes sense :lol: it even compensates for for WG flutter, just no turbine noise. still awesome nonetheless:lol:

OK, I think I have a little exhaust leak. Where the DP meets the midpipe. I noticed the stock DP has a little stub that sits inside the midpipe when bolted together? My Invidia DP is flat. I just used the included gasket with the stock spring bolts. I think the combo of spring bolts and the DP not fit into the midpipe is causing a leak under pressure. Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Brian

OK, I think I have a little exhaust leak. Where the DP meets the midpipe. I noticed the stock DP has a little stub that sits inside the midpipe when bolted together? My Invidia DP is flat. I just used the included gasket with the stock spring bolts. I think the combo of spring bolts and the DP not fit into the midpipe is causing a leak under pressure. Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Brian

I used the supplied Invidia gasket and bolts and still had a leak with mine at the same spot. I tightened it several times and still had a minor leak and extra smell.

It wasn't until I added a 3" catback that the annoying smell and leak went away. It burnt clear thru the invidia gasket in the 5 months I had the UP/Downpipes before I added the catback. Good luck, I just put up with it.

I was trolling the site and I found that I didn't replace the "doughnut" gasket from the DP to the Mid. I don't remember seeing anything fall off when removing the stock DP. Could the doughnut gasket be the stub piece I see at the end of the stock DP? If so, how can I remove it without breaking it?

Thanks,

Brian

That's it!! Yeah, the donut gaskett is "stuck" to your OE DP. It'll come right out and is ok to reuse if it's not cracked. I reused mine w/out any trouble, twice!:) Just pull it out with your fingers.
Stage2.5376, TDC ProTune,blah blah blahhhh and....Alky/H20 injection :icon_mrgr

Had the same problem. I ended up just getting a MR cat-back to get it to seal properly with the flat flange. There is a gasket adapter out there, but it's like $50-60 when I was looking at it.

I just completed an up-pipe and down-pipe install. It took me the better part of 9 hours. Thanks, Brian

I just did the same on my 05 LGT. Got an Autospeed DP and Perrin UP. About 9 hours too. Glad to hear your time was close. I thought it was about time to give up wrenching but you made me feel better.

I have the included new gasket installed with straight bolts. I noticed that I had to keep adjusting the pipe alignment every time alternated bolts while tightening. I haven't driven it much since, but it's sealed for now. I'm sure that will end as so on as I get a good burn in on the exhaust.

Sounds like the standard answer is use the factory donut and if it still leaks; flip it around so the tapered end goes in the DP. Without that donut I think the leak develops when the DP-MP union gets flexed. My Jeep Cherokee has the same problem at the bottom of it's DP. Everytime I go off road and "flex" things; that seal goes and I start sucking fumes. When I order gaskets I get 3 at a time.

Let's kick this pig!

FRICK! The doughnut was pretty mashed onto my stock DP. I tried to take it off gently and after a bit of prying with a screwdriver I thought it wasn't worth it.

So my question is now: Should I order a another doughnut or should I go to AutoZone and pick up a tube of some exhaust sealant? Is one better than the other?

Since the stock DP fits into the mid and the new one doesn't (it just butts against the mid) would one type of sealant be better?

Thanks,

Brian

I think I'm in the same boat. My doughnut is also stuck to my OE DP pretty tight. I'm going to the dealership this week to get a new headlght and I will see if they have the doughnut in stock and what they want for it.

I have a cattless UP and a catted DP and OE CBE. While sitting still at idle I smell just a little exhaust.

Another question since the thread is called "normal" stage 2 noises. When I do a rev up while out of gear; I get a couple pops on the way back down. Is this cackle normal? Is it just the wastegate opening in the bellmouth of the new downpipe?

Or is it a leak in the DP->MP seal?

Let's kick this pig!

^^ It's called after-fire. It's pretty normal for a completely cat-less exhaust but it shouldn't be very noticeable with catted DP.

Cool. Sounds right now that you mention it. The DP is catted but it's a small hi-flow cat and it's just like 2 or 3 little pops when you rev it with no load... so it would re-ignite the fumes left in the pipes on the way down. Just a new sound with the new parts. Thanks

Let's kick this pig!

It's the sound of SEXAY, Bman. How have you been treating my beast?, I miss her dearly. Have you done anything else besides the pipe swap?

I've been taking my frustrations out on my SS....just added TD04 turbo, intercooler, MBC.

coolblue.....

I dont know what you are doing with the welding torch but heating the hangers and bending them is what I did to make my MR work and it fits great now and looks perfect from the back.. I do have an ocassional vibration from the heat shield I need to wrap the exhaust there to hopefully put and end to it but it is so rare I might not even do it..... Hope that helps you some and maybe keeps you from hacking up the exhaust...also of course loosen all the bolts then hold things where you want them and tigten that plus bending the hangers gave me everything I wanted.....sorry for being off topic

Alright, now that I got my DP/MP sealed I have a new and different noise(SPT CBE will be here Tuesday). Yesterday I slapped some Hi-Temp Black RTV on the doughnut to try and seal the leak. I let it sit for about 8 hours and went for a spin. Seems to have sealed it up better than it was. Now when I let off the gas in gear and coast; I hear a "ting ting ting" at exactly 2000RPMs every time on the way down. It sounds like a heat shield rattle, but I JUST tightened ALL of them two days ago when I was retightening all my UP/DP bolts and swapped out the flat gasket for the doughnut. It sounds like it's the DP heatshield from in the car, but I know that shield is tight and not touching anything.

Is this still just the afterfire effect in the sealed exhaust making a ringing sound instead of a popping?

Let's kick this pig!

Archived