LegacyGT.com

2001 Legacy GT Limited, HELP ME PIMP IT OUT!

I Have a 2001 Subaru Legacy GT Limited, in the gold color seen in the pic. I am planning on getting new rims, and eventually a new paintjob to go with it. I was thinking of getting 18" BBS rims, as Id like the racing look. Then for the color, I was considering either a dark gray similar to the one Subaru offers today, or just black. Help me out here. O and the windows are now tinted, so the pic is a little old

0324071604.thumb.jpg.765e6791c865b4cdcb7bf7d370344f37.jpg

I'm sure you'll find out quickly that a good QUALITY complete color change paint job (including the door jams, under the hood, under the trunk lid, etc.) really isn't worth the cost... That said if you're still interested after you hear the estimate to repaint it I'd definitely say go dark grey.

Get a proper body kit for it, and 17" wheels. 18"s are overrated... 17's are a good compromise between comfort and performance.

Take a look at these beasts:

One

Two

Three

That last is may favorite... MMmmmmmm...

I agree with GT-L, you shouldn't change the color unless you have to...and I can't think of why you'd do that unless you're a cab driver, a cop, or playing Grand Theft Auto.

A bit of amateur advice on rims:

First, I'd recommend something in black, anthracite, gunmetal, etc...darker colors would look sweet on a gold Subie like yours

Second, be sure you're getting quality rims that weigh LESS than your current rims. Lots of people don't understand the concept of 'unsprung weight' - you want to minimize as much weight as you can that isn't sitting on top of springs because that's the stuff that's moving...and if it moves it takes energy to move it.

Good quality lightweight rims might be a bit more expensive but that means you'll improve performance and gas mileage. Heavier rims would do the opposite, and there's no reason anyone should do that (in my opinion, anyway...ghetto fabulous gangsta thug wanna-be's might disagree with me on that).

There are tons of sites for rims on the web...just google 'wheels' or 'alloy rims' and you'll get a ton of hits. Many will let you search for rims based on your car so you won't find a set that doesn't fit. Some even sell you rims & tires in a package deal, making them cheaper than taking it to a store in town that probably won't have exactly what you want, even after shipping & the mounting/balancing fees (you'll have to do that with all new rims & tires).

Make it idiot-proof and someone will make a better idiot.

Archived