LegacyGT.com

What does Er HC Mean?

well i know it stands for, 'High speed CAN bus error'. but what does it mean?!?

my car threw that error. i, stupidly, ignored the first time, 2 weeks ago. now it did it again. when i turn the key, it throws that error and it doesn't crank. i shut her down and it cranks fine.

i can't get the car to the dealer until tuesday. a little worried. if anybody can shed some light why this error code is being thrown that would be great.

thanks,

k

One computer or control module in your car isn't talking to another. If it's a recurring problem it probably isn't going to fix itself. It could be something as simple as just having to re-seat a connctor but in the mean time there's an outside chance you could end up getting stranded somewhere with a dead car.

One computer or control module in your car isn't talking to another. If it's a recurring problem it probably isn't going to fix itself. It could be something as simple as just having to re-seat a connctor but in the mean time there's an outside chance you could end up getting stranded somewhere with a dead car.

I just had the same problem, the dealer ran the code and the system doesn't tell you where the failure is, so the poor tech had to go thru the hole wiring harness 6 hours later he found a loose connector, he reconnected and viola no more error message.

i'll also check for the connector..

I just had the same problem, the dealer ran the code and the system doesn't tell you where the failure is, so the poor tech had to go thru the hole wiring harness 6 hours later he found a loose connector, he reconnected and viola no more error message.

that sux.. oh well.. was your issue intermittent? or did it happen all the time. like i said, it happened twice. the 2nd time being today and the first time 1.5 weeks ago. i hate it if i bring it there and it doesn't happen and they can't find it.

arg!

late,

k

well more strangeness tonight...

i was sitting in my car waiting for my son to get his seat belt on.. i hear the radio volume go slightly up then slightly down. at first i thought ok, it's the radio station. then it started to go up again. i look down and the the volume number are going up by itself.

freaky dicky!!

i turned it back down to 5 and is well again... but something possessing my beloved car!! :confused: i need a an exorcism!!

anyways, hope you all have a nice memorial weekend!

k

The issue with the radio volume is because you are in between two of the 'detents' or notches of the volume control. When you 'giggled the handle' on the knob, you corrected the problem! I've seen this happen before a couple of times. Also, +1 for checking the diagnostic connector by the passenger's feet (in the foot well).

well i brought the car in yesterday because they weren't busy. i couldn't wait til tuesday.

he said there were error codes in the computer. he wasn't sure of the time frame for all of them. but he looked at all the places where there were errors thrown and nothing looks wrong. he cleared the errors and reset the ecu. he told me to bring it in next time it happens.

that said, after almost 2 years, i just pass 15k (i don't drive this car enuf!!). i am gonna change the oil today. going full synth. got a crap load of the penzoil platnium last time kragen had these on sale for $.99 AR. i know there has been talk that these are not full synth.. but hey they were $.99.

also after he cleared the ecu i can hear the turbo a lot more clearly!! i mean it comes on strong. i lilke it!! i guess i was driving like a pu$$ and the ecu learned it. which i don't know why.. i tried to save gas.. but it didn't...

anyways thought i share..

happy memorial day! have fun bbq! :)

k

i'll also check for the connector..

that sux.. oh well.. was your issue intermittent? or did it happen all the time. like i said, it happened twice. the 2nd time being today and the first time 1.5 weeks ago. i hate it if i bring it there and it doesn't happen and they can't find it.

arg!

late,

k

It came on and stayed on fortunately the dealer fit me in on right away so I dropped it off on the way to work I never shut the thing off and brought the service manager out to look at the car and the code, confirming its presence.

Since that day no more errors.

well i brought the car in yesterday because they weren't busy. i couldn't wait til tuesday.

he said there were error codes in the computer. he wasn't sure of the time frame for all of them. but he looked at all the places where there were errors thrown and nothing looks wrong. he cleared the errors and reset the ecu. he told me to bring it in next time it happens.

that said, after almost 2 years, i just pass 15k (i don't drive this car enuf!!). i am gonna change the oil today. going full synth. got a crap load of the penzoil platnium last time kragen had these on sale for $.99 AR. i know there has been talk that these are not full synth.. but hey they were $.99.

also after he cleared the ecu i can hear the turbo a lot more clearly!! i mean it comes on strong. i lilke it!! i guess i was driving like a pu$$ and the ecu learned it. which i don't know why.. i tried to save gas.. but it didn't...

anyways thought i share..

happy memorial day! have fun bbq! :)

k

I tried the whole fuel efficient driving thing city driving I got it up to 19MPG I was shocked I actually hit the EPA number, but My usual driving to work nets about 15.5 MPG on the gauge, but the actual number is lower than the display, calculating fuel used to actual mileage I get 14.0 MPG, best highway mileage is 25.0 MPG

I am glad that your computer reset has so far fixed the error, Knock on Wood. My dads WRX has had so many check engine lights that as long as the car is running right we just ignore them.

I hope that both of our cars avoid the same fate.:lol:

Archived