LegacyGT.com

Seatbelt memory (ECU)

Long story short, I was pulled over for failure to stop at a stop sign, which in itself is a bullshit charge, I have witnesses in my car and the car following me that I came to a complete stop but that is beside the point. Once the officer runs all my info and I come back clean, he offers me a "Deal". This is where it gets good, he tells me that he will write the stop sign ($150 fine) off as a warning and will write me a no seatbelt ticket ($25 fine). At this point I am absolutely astounded:eek: , I never put the car in drive without my seatbelt on and as always, I had it on tonight. Let me tell everyone now that this was in a small town where the city police have an extreme ego trip and think they are above everything, including writing bogus tickets. As in many states, we have the "Click it or Ticket" thing, which means the more seatbelt violations a cop can write, the more government money comes in.

Now, had I been guilty of either infratction, I wouldn't have any problem paying the fine and going on my way. I'm not one to buck the system, but this officer is known for doing this kind of thing, and this time i'm not going quietly. I have scheduled a meeting with the chief of police for the morning to discuss this issue and the officer's actions and "Deal making".

My question is the seatbelt usage on the legacy stored somewhere onboard (ECU)? As in, can I take my car to the dealership and have them pull the engage/disengage record for the belts. I just want to have a little extra proof when I go in. I know I was in the right on this issue, I just want it to be clear beyond a reasonable doubt.

Have Camera...Will Travel

~2007 LegacyGT.com Calendar (October)~

Man someone needs to set up a sting operation on your local cops. A little audio and a little video and this will be over with a lawsuit.

It wouldn't surprise me if the ecu records it but I don't know for sure sorry. Hope someone can help you, have you tried calling the dealer?

Man, this is minor fine (a change really) and should be non-reportable. Don't sweat it and pay, the trolls need to get their toll! I rather have a cop that does the "deal" that one that writes speeding tickets, from which all parasites benefit: cops, courts, lawyers, insurance companies. The last ones I hate the most.

Man, this is minor fine (a change really) and should be non-reportable. Don't sweat it and pay, the trolls need to get their toll! I rather have a cop that does the "deal" that one that writes speeding tickets, from which all parasites benefit: cops, courts, lawyers, insurance companies. The last ones I hate the most.

+100

Just pay the $25 and be happy you didn't get stuck with points and large fine.

Just look at it this way..although you did not run the stop sign this time, i am sure you (at one time or another) have been guilty of speeding or pulling an illegal U-turn, or taking a yellow light that suddenly turned red and you never got pinched for it. You are still up on "the man"...pay the $25.

Many states do define what a complete stop is, which is something most people don't do if they are in the intersection by themselves. No one stops for 3 seconds.

Basically if the cop pulled you over and wants to write you a ticket. He's going to do it regardless of what you say. If you don't think you are guilty, show up on the court date and tell the judge.

Sorry dude. I grew up in a town like that where the cops would fabricate a reason to pull you over. It's seedy but it happens.

Feel free to plead your case, but be prepared to pay the fine. As stated by others earlier; most drivers violate any given law around 100 times for every time they get caught. I know it holds true for me. You may want to plead "No Contest" which means you can't prove the cop wrong, but you don't feel that you are "Guilty".

Let's kick this pig!

I would have taken the seat belt fine, sent it in as not guilty, and come to court saying you had the seatbelt on with a witness or 2. The officer knows you had it on, and has no record of the stop sign. What is he going to do, say he made you a deal? No, he will bite his lip and let you off.

If all goes to hell, tell the truth about the entire situation, they will punish the officer, not you...

Zac

Archived