LegacyGT.com

Redoing entire System

frathouse87

I am redoing everything from the headunit all the way back to the subs. So I had a few questions...

1. What are the sizes for all the speakers? I know the fronts are 6.5" and the rear are too. But there are also tweeters in the front. So does that mean I need 6.5" componants for the front and just 6.5" for the rear?

2. Is 3 layers of fiberglass good for entry-level comp. subs 12"? Will 12's even fit with custom enclosures for the sides, assuming it doesnt come far enough out that I cannot lift the spare tire tray?

3. Single Din or Double Din? Double looks much cleaner but the unit itself is $400 more, plus $300 for JDM double din adapter bezel, plus $200 for computer display relocation. So is the near $1000 extra worth it? Are there downsides to single din?

I know I had more questions but I'll ask as I go.

Zac

I can give feedback on #1 above: The speaker sizes are all 6.5", and you can do one of three things for the fronts: 1) Install component 6.5" woofer and tweeters in the stock locations 2) Install 6.5" coax in the stock location and disconnect the factory tweeter 3) Install component 6.5" woofer in the stock location, component tweeter near the woofers location, and disconnect the factory tweeter.

I'd go with either option 2 or 3, those will provide the best imaging IMO. The stock tweeter is too far from the stock woofer, has early reflection issues off the windshield, and the difference in distance between the L tweeter, R tweeter, and your ears muddies the image as well.

I'm also wanting to replace the factory front speakers, and cannot decide if I should do components or just 2 ways and not worry about having separate tweets.

Would it make much of a difference to go w/ 2 ways instead of components? Would the stock hu be compatible for the set up?

sure it would. EIther way its running the same wires to the speakers. The only difference is with componants the wires run to the crossover, which sperates the signal to the tweets and the woofer. I think I'm going to go with 2/3-ways for cost savings and I don't need it as clear as componants...

I installed Polk DB 650's (coax) and disconnected the factory tweeters. Big improvement in clarity and imaging with no other audio upgrades. They'd do better with an aftermarket amp, but it is an improvement over the factory speakers.

I installed Polk DB 650's (coax) and disconnected the factory tweeters. Big improvement in clarity and imaging with no other audio upgrades. They'd do better with an aftermarket amp, but it is an improvement over the factory speakers.

nice. those are on sale at crutchfield. they look pretty sweet.

Archived