LegacyGT.com

??? about AT. Trading my 05 MT for a 05 AT

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::spin:

actually, why not?

the ignorance here is that we do not have the same ratios as the stick shifts. that's it! the tc isn't that bad nor is anything else. We gave up ~.5 sec acceleration for what? OMG we lost a race by .5 sec...pretty pathetic.

if it was street racing why not just get an sti so I could mock the pos legacy?

the auto vs man is tiring and truly stupid. compare them IF they had the exact same ratios, till then...shut up about it.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I'm backing her up on that.. go ahead guys and make fun of the automatic LGTers lol.... but the transmissions have been making alot of advancements like the VW DSG Gearbox which is impressive which you can shift in 2/10ths of a second with the paddle. "Info found from the VW website"

Edit: Just my two cents

i dont thinkk the dsg is quicker than the stick...go to the site...2 complete different gear ratios. the dsg is geard solely for acceleration the stick is not. its EXACTLY like the lgt man vs auto.

i have an 05 LGT 5EAT. i love it. sometimes, i wish it were manual so i didn't have to upgrade tranny parts for my mods, but sounds like your wife most likely won't be modding her car. the manual shift mode on a stock 05 is just so-so. there's about 1 sec delay in the shifts. also, from 1-2 shift it can be a bit choppy. when i went stg 2 with just gutted pipes and AP, it helped with this and i had much smoother shifts/gears.

you will lose some power in the auto unless you drive around in the sport mode (not manual shift). i usually leave mine in D most of the time to help conserve gas and not cause me to get any more tickets.

you seariously need to drive a 5eat with si. put it on s# and brake torque to 2800.

the auto vs man is tiring and truly stupid. compare them IF they had the exact same ratios, till then...shut up about it.

Why so defensive? :rolleyes: Who cares about ratios?

Drive your AT, just watch in the curves, when it shifts, and baaam, no traction.... :lol:

Drive your AT, just watch in the curves, when it shifts, and baaam, no traction.... :lol:

It looks like the 5EAT is smarter than you are. The steering wheel position sensor will stop the transmission from shifting in a turn.

It looks like the 5EAT is smarter than you are. The steering wheel position sensor will stop the transmission from shifting in a turn.

:orly: What a technology....

:Unsubscribe: ...we were supposed to stop thread jacking....

My only complaint about the auto (ok, I'm not fast either), is that you really can't downshift like with a manual. The newer Subies ('08?) rev the engine before downshifting which I think gives you the ability to use engine breaking during hard corners.

You can force a downshift with the current sport shift but the way the engine lugs you can tell eventually you'll wreck your transmission.

My only complaint about the auto (ok, I'm not fast either), is that you really can't downshift like with a manual.

Sure you can. Just left foot brake and blip the throttle with the right foot.

Sure you can. Just left foot brake and blip the throttle with the right foot.

yup...

also the tranny will not let you downshift below a certain rpm.

the program is not going to let you break it.

my old mazda pretege 5 had the "sport" shift that would'nt up shift. bounce the needle if you like. i would sometimes shift it at 7k instead of the 6500 mark. completely different on the 5 eat.

Why so defensive? :rolleyes: Who cares about ratios?

what???

i have hammered the gas in my 5eat mid corner in the wet.

you know what happened?

acceleration.

it's not being defensive as i am pointing out the ignorance and stupidity of comparing 2 different transmissions. IF the had the EXACT SAME RATIOS then you could make a valid comparison. until then, it's all b.s.

in my 07 5eat...just like any other auto...floor the gas mid corner and the tranny will downshift and you will take off.

If you are already going hard, you would have it in sports mode. It would have already downshifted as you are braking into the corner. But then only drifters and people who are about to run out of talent, floor the gas mid corner especially while going hard.

you seariously need to drive a 5eat with si. put it on s# and brake torque to 2800.

why? your S# is pretty much the same as my Sport Shift mode. and when i do a 2800 rpm launch, i'm at 13.2 1/4 ET. when one of the owners of the dealership tells me that i would be disappointed in SI drive compared to my set up, i gotta go with what he says. hell, today, i might just stop in and take one out for a drive just for curiousity sake.

and for downshifting, my 05 5EAT will downshift just fine. however, it's not like in a manual where you can use the engine to slow down. maybe at higher RPMs but then you'd be bouncing off the rev limiter.

Wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle yeah!!!

it's not being defensive as i am pointing out the ignorance and stupidity of comparing 2 different transmissions. IF the had the EXACT SAME RATIOS then you could make a valid comparison. until then, it's all b.s.

has it ever donned on you that the comments which seem to be antagonizing you immensely are not directed towards the merits/mechanics of the lgt auto tranny itself, but rather the entire 5eat-equipped lgt, ratios and all?

one CAN make a valid comparison of the driving characteristics between any two vehicles. to suggest both models require the same gear ratios prior to comparison speaks of ignorance and stupidity.

i don't think anyone in this thread suggested the lgt automatic transmission was poorly designed or poorly built. the reasons you chose the transmission you did is unique and personal to you. you don't need to defend your decision with harsh words against strangers on the internet.

i got the 5mt b/c at this stage in my life it makes me more excited about having to drive. there are times, however, where i am too tired to be excited, and may opt to drive my truck with automatic transmission, so i understand where the OP's wife is coming from.

FACT #1: the stock 5mt (equipped lgt) can accelerate faster than the stock 5eat (equipped lgt)

FACT #2: under similar driving conditions, the stock 5mt (equipped lgt) gets better gas mileage than the stock 5eat (equipped lgt)

FACT #3: the 5eat (equipped lgt) is easier to drive in traffic/parking lots/from a dead stop up a hill/drawbridge and when tired/drunk than the 5mt (equipped lgt) and provides more instances for a free hand to dial/text message, hold a beer, adjust the hvac/radio, give the finger, etc.

why? your S# is pretty much the same as my Sport Shift mode. and when i do a 2800 rpm launch, i'm at 13.2 1/4 ET. when one of the owners of the dealership tells me that i would be disappointed in SI drive compared to my set up, i gotta go with what he says. hell, today, i might just stop in and take one out for a drive just for curiousity sake.

and for downshifting, my 05 5EAT will downshift just fine. however, it's not like in a manual where you can use the engine to slow down. maybe at higher RPMs but then you'd be bouncing off the rev limiter.

you don't have the software the s# has therefore...keep dreaming. you don't have it. it has been said that my s is your software. my s# is a whole different car than s. please do not post opinions unless you have driven s#. i dont care what mods you have done to the engine and the little bit in the tranny, you haven't changed the sofware. hell, you didn't even know what your redline was when i asked you and you couldn't provide shift points.

wrong again...the auto will NOT i repeat NOT let you downshift that will put the needle at redline. wtf are you smoking? yes it will too slow the car down as if an engine brake.

i seriously can't believe what I am reading. it's like you have never even been in the thing. they changed the software (SOFTWARE) in the 08 to blip the throttle so it doesn't bog the engine (as if engine braking). the other guy was right...I have done it too...just left foot brake and lightly hold the gas. the new 08 software does that for you.

also...not all of us wants full power 100% of the time...that's why people ask for multiple maps from the tuner...think about it. the factory gave 3. i personally use "i" 95% of the time. why? cause it's all anyone needs for the most part. haven't you read where some people don't like the vo on a daily basis due to the twitchy/responsive engine? the si drive takes care of that. now that I have it i like it. don't hate it cause you don't nor even driven one.

has it ever donned on you that the comments which seem to be antagonizing you immensely are not directed towards the merits/mechanics of the lgt auto tranny itself, but rather the entire 5eat-equipped lgt, ratios and all?

one CAN make a valid comparison of the driving characteristics between any two vehicles. to suggest both models require the same gear ratios prior to comparison speaks of ignorance and stupidity.

i don't think anyone in this thread suggested the lgt automatic transmission was poorly designed or poorly built. the reasons you chose the transmission you did is unique and personal to you. you don't need to defend your decision with harsh words against strangers on the internet.

i got the 5mt b/c at this stage in my life it makes me more excited about having to drive. there are times, however, where i am too tired to be excited, and may opt to drive my truck with automatic transmission, so i understand where the OP's wife is coming from.

FACT #1: the stock 5mt (equipped lgt) can accelerate faster than the stock 5eat (equipped lgt)

FACT #2: under similar driving conditions, the stock 5mt (equipped lgt) gets better gas mileage than the stock 5eat (equipped lgt)

FACT #3: the 5eat (equipped lgt) is easier to drive in traffic/parking lots/from a dead stop up a hill/drawbridge and when tired/drunk than the 5mt (equipped lgt) and provides more instances for a free hand to dial/text message, hold a beer, adjust the hvac/radio, give the finger, etc.

i never disputed those facts...just the manual vs auto. the facts are there because of the different ratios. IF they were the same, i'd put money on identical if not faster acceleration for the 5eat. faster due to the boost at launch and you never let the foot off the gas through any gear. porsche proved the latter with the new 5speed auto 911t vs the 6speed stick.

...Yeah, I think Powerman wanted some answers about making the change.

Well at least some one understood out of 45 posts.

We made the trade. I think ours was in better shape. It had Magnaflows. The owner of the other one pried up some stuff putting in an amp. I'm a little bummed that my sexy black speed racer is gone. However, it isn't my car. The wife is happier and it is more practical for her. We did not get bent over, but they didn't do much bending themselves. So now we own a pearl white 5eat, with tinted windows and a spoiler. I'll have to get used to the new tranny. Hopefully the last owner didn't abuse it like a rental. Now I need to buy a new panel filter.

This was all through a dealership. They need to detail our new car cause it wasn't very clean. So we left it, but they wouldn't let us drive our old one home. I asked them if I could swap my panel filter. I knew the answer to that, but I gave them grief anyway. I was going to bring it home and put a paper one in. :) I liked those Magnaflows. Sort of deep and throaty, not bright and fart canny:lol:

They gave us a Saab to drive home. It had about half a gallon of gas in it of course:mad:

you don't have the software the s# has therefore...keep dreaming. you don't have it. it has been said that my s is your software. my s# is a whole different car than s. please do not post opinions unless you have driven s#. i dont care what mods you have done to the engine and the little bit in the tranny, you haven't changed the sofware. hell, you didn't even know what your redline was when i asked you and you couldn't provide shift points.

wrong again...the auto will NOT i repeat NOT let you downshift that will put the needle at redline. wtf are you smoking? yes it will too slow the car down as if an engine brake.

i seriously can't believe what I am reading. it's like you have never even been in the thing. they changed the software (SOFTWARE) in the 08 to blip the throttle so it doesn't bog the engine (as if engine braking). the other guy was right...I have done it too...just left foot brake and lightly hold the gas. the new 08 software does that for you.

also...not all of us wants full power 100% of the time...that's why people ask for multiple maps from the tuner...think about it. the factory gave 3. i personally use "i" 95% of the time. why? cause it's all anyone needs for the most part. haven't you read where some people don't like the vo on a daily basis due to the twitchy/responsive engine? the si drive takes care of that. now that I have it i like it. don't hate it cause you don't nor even driven one.

you must have the bestest 5EAT then. :lol: i just drove a new 07 LGT 5EAT with the S#. to try and compare it, i'd need to actually drive a STOCK 05 LGT. they will have one tomorrow they took on trade so I will give my full review in another day: 05 LGT 5eat Sport mode vs 07 LGT 5eat S#.

honestly, because my car is so modified, it was boring and not very thrilling. i kept waiting for something to happen and it didn't. I will say it seemed to shift a little better, smoother than the 05 Sport shift, however, I wouldn't say it was tons and tons different. though it was cool because i love technology and gadgets, i'd certainly not go and trade my 05 in just for that. now, the rear fold down seats..... that might be different.

Richard, i would love to drive your car, have you drive mine, then you will know *edited for harshness* that in the 05, i can down shift to just under the rev limiter. the car will hit the rev limiter and then cuts off the gas. i then get a nasty poof of smoke (having done this by accident) and the sport shift light will start blinking at me until i shut the car down and restart the engine. as you have already stated over and over again, the 07 has DIFFERENT software so i'm sure they corrected this problem. i left foot brake during autox, but quit because my right foot kept over riding what the left foot was trying to do. :lol:

as for not ever driving my car, just because i don't purposely glue my eyeballs to the tach and WATCH the rpms and compare the speeds to the car shifting does not make me a retard nor able to drive my car as is. my car hasn't been stock in a very very long time, so trying to compare or give you exact details when i had not even had the chance to get "on" the car to see redline after my tune on May 6 (yes, that was just 2 weeks ago) does not make me incapable or not able to know wth i'm talking about. the only time i get ON the car hard is at the track. sorry, but when i'm autocrossing, i am NOT looking at my speed, i'm looking ahead so i can try to NOT eat cones. i'm LISTENING to the car to know when to shift. Last Sunday was the first day the drag strip opened, so that was the only time I was able to get on it, AFTER you asked me if my redline increased to 7000 rpms. I don't street race, i don't race every freaking car from light to light, i know my car is pretty darn quick and it makes me smile when i'm driving from place to place. i have no reason to drive the car to redline in my daily activities.

funny that instead of me having to defend my choice in the 5EAT over a manual, i now have to defend myself to you because i don't have SI drive and it's ALL that?? ok.... whatever. :rolleyes:

this is completely off topic and not even close to what the OP requested. as far as i'm concerned, you killed his thread.

and feel free to PM me for further discussion. i'll be sure to let you know my comparisons after I get a chance to drive the stock 05 5eat. unfortunately it's a wagon, so i believe the weight will be a factor.

This was all through a dealership. They need to detail our new car cause it wasn't very clean. So we left it, but they wouldn't let us drive our old one home. I asked them if I could swap my panel filter. I knew the answer to that, but I gave them grief anyway. I was going to bring it home and put a paper one in. :) I liked those Magnaflows. Sort of deep and throaty, not bright and fart canny:lol:

They gave us a Saab to drive home. It had about half a gallon of gas in it of course:mad:

really? they should have let you swap them out. all the dealerships i've gone to, have let me take MY things from the car and swap. I even traded my Optima Red Top battery from my old car and put it into the LGT a few days after i bought the car.

Archived