LegacyGT.com

Sway bar install questions

fatbastard

This morning I decided to start the install for my Cobb sways I picked up from the King of Parts and I ran into a few problems. First problem were the exhaust bolts...I guess all the salt they use here really took a toll on them. Even with liberal amounts of PB blaster it still took over an hour to get 4 damn bolts off. Though this may have been a good thing because the wife saw the rust and how difficult it was and I think it may help me convince her that an aftermarket unit is necessary. Anyway, once the cans were out the removal/install was straight forward with one exception. I can't get the damn subframe bolts out for the reinforcement brackets. I think I am just going to pick up a 3/8" breaker bar (mine is 1/2" but not socket to fit) but does anyone have another suggestion? After I gave up on getting those out I put the cans back in with new bolts and antisieze so hopefully when I get the new exhaust they won't suck too bad.

I didn't get to install the front since it started to rain but are there any tips anyone might have? Should I pick up a special tool first? I was going to get some spacers since it seems the Cobb front bar runs a little short and some clamps for the bar but if there is something else to know fill me in.

the bolts are fairly tight in the subframe. i think you are better off staying with the 1/2 in breaker bar and just getting a socket to fit it vs going down to a small bar.

to really make it easy you could use an 1/2 inch impact gun, then they just fly right out.

Work hard. Play even harder.

My Garage

OK...maybe I should just go to my bro-in-laws. I think he has an s-load of tools I am sure he'll have something. The other bonus is I can get the front on. On the way home tonight in the rain just a rear sway made things very interesting. Got the wife to reach out to brace herself a couple of times. muhahaha!

Guess it's a little late for this *tip* but I just dropped the exhaust off of the rubber hangers, rather than unbolt any of it.

PB Blaster + 1/2" Breaker Bar FTW. I usually use my Gorilla lug wrench as my breaker bar.

Seek first to understand, then to be understood.

In other words: SEARCH before you post!

Yeah...thought about trying to drop the exhaust but since I am in a condo and have no ramps or jack stands I needed to get the cans out of there to have some space to work. Thankfully the car isn't lowered yet. But I did find out I am getting old, when I woke up this morning I had a lot of sore spots and even some bruising from wiggling under teh car for so long.

• 2 weeks later...
Wow...what a difference the right tool makes. Borrowed a 24" 1/2" drive breaker bar from my bro-in-law. Two minutes later the bolts were out and the rest was easy. Glad I finally got the rear finished, I think I am going to wait on the front until I have time to do my UP/DP install.

Archived