LegacyGT.com

Immobilizer Anti-Theft Systems

My old 5th Gen Honda Prelude had one and the way to bypass it was to grab an OBDII to OBDI harness and a compatible OBDI ECU (such as one from an Integra GSR).

A friend had his stolen in this fashion. Don't know how easy this is to do with our 05+ Legacy's though.

EDIT: A tow truck as well as whitetiger has stated.

The immobilizer anti-theft system can be cracked.

A few months ago, I read a fairly long article about it in the SF local newspaper. They detailed several examples of where the insurance companies accused the owners of stealing the cars because the cars were equipped with immobilizers. They also detailed a professional Mercedes-Benz thief who got caught because he forgot to deactivate the lo-jack.

The article implied that if you know how to crack the codes, it's actually easier to steal the car than ever before.

The fact is, if a pro car thief wants your car, they're going to get it. Immobilizers will stop the average thief, and that's what the vast majority of them are...

2013 S4 - Glacier White - DSG - B&O - Tech Package - Sports Diff - Napa - RS4 Grille - Stasis Exhaust - APR Intake - KW Variant 1 - Stern Control Arms - CR-15 - Stasis RSB - Moog Endlinks - PC Hyper Black Peelers - Deval Front Lip - ECS Rear Diffuser - Carbon Imports Ducktail - ECS Mirror Caps - Relak Paddle Extensions - Autostyle Floor Mats - LED Interior - V1 - Blackvue DR900s -

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

^+1. His car was stolen by a pro. If your car is targeted its usually a done deal, they come with the by-pass cables and computers for that particular model and its a walk in the park. They know everything they need to know about that car.

I watched a couple of pros steal a brand new Maxima with anti theft immobilizer in under 15 minutes at my old complex. By the time the Police got there after I made the 911 call they were long gone. The guy that owned the car was stunned when he got back and just sat on the ground thunderstruck.

If Juergen Schrempp can have his custom armored Mercedes stolen then I'm sure any car can be stolen. Another article that I read speculated that the car was stolen based upon an order. I.e., someone needed an armored mercedes and placed a custom order with some professional thieves. You would think that there are only a handful of these things out in the world and they would be easy to locate.

This article is a few years old.

IMPRESSIVE THEFT: DAIMLERCHRYSLER CEO HAS CAR STOLEN

Some of you may not know the name Juergen Schrempp, but he is the feisty CEO of DaimlerChrysler. His million dollar armored limousine was just stolen in Stuttgart, the home base for the auto manufacturer.

This car has homing devices on it, and they still haven't been able to locate it. Perhaps they just have put an old-fashioned 'club' on the steering wheel.

I don't know if this says much about Schrempp or the questionable theft-protection systems of a fancy Mercedes-Benz, but it does tell us that Stuttgart thieves know what they are doing.

More to come after I get situated in Hamburg.

Security ALWAYS works best in layers. Everything can be cracked when enough time or money is thrown at it.

I suppose an Immobilizer would be a start but add another layer such as a club or something like that and the car becomes less attractive to a thief. Hopefully they'll move on to the car next to yours without it. Kill switch to the engine or pulling a spark plug works well too (might just stall em enough for you or someone else to see em).

That being said, ERLoft was 100% correct.

The fact is, if a pro car thief wants your car, they're going to get it.

Archived