LegacyGT.com

Rear deck noise when driving

rjh78

I have had my 05 subaru Legacy GT for about a month now. When I first took it off the lot it was great. But now I am hearing a noise from the rear deck area when going over some bumps, turning corners, and taking off fast. I had the dealership take a look at it and they said that it was the torsion bars for the trunk lid. They said they took them out and put them back in. While doing so they put a peice of rubber round one of the torsion bars. Well, I don't think they are put into the car correctly. Is there anyone out there that could take a picture of the torsion bars so that I can take a look at what they are suppose to look like and how they are suppose to be routed. Hopefully someone could help.

ok I've been hearing a simular noise and I think the problem is from the tray over the spare tire, make sure the tray in the trunk is closer to the outsite of the car rather than the inside, you wont have the problem anymore. let us know.

i have the same thing. although i have not experimented yet, i thought it was coming from the rear deck break light cover. i had to install some weather stripping on my last car, and i'll have to do it with this one too.

I have had my car for about 2k miles. I purchased it from the dealer with 3300 miles on it. It now has about 5300 miles on it. I have since taken everything out of the car and drove it. STILL HEAR THE NOISE. It is driving me crazy. I started by taking the rear seats out when I was done I had the rear deck out, all the trunk linings, the spare tire. It was cleaned out. I took it for another ride, and the noise was STILL there. I am just running out of ideas. I was thinking of taking the trunk torsion bars out and taking it for a ride, but I just don't know how to get them out of there.

• 1 month later...
I finally got someone else to drive my car while I sat in the back to check for rattles. I eliminated almost everything but the actual rear window a few weeks before, when I removed all the back interior and it still rattled. I concluded it must be the rear window itself. I told the dealership this and they had a tech go on a road test with me. He thought I was correct, because when it was making the noise he pushed up on the window and the noise stopped. I had the rear window removed and re-installed, now NO NOISE!!!! Thank god! It was totally driving me nuts.

Archived