LegacyGT.com

Silver owners, who has had paint work done? good match?

TRAC3

my car was recently hit and I took it to a body shop that was highly recomended. surprisingly the damages were over 8800 dollars (the insurance co of the guy who hit me took care of that bill).

the entire left hand side of my car was painted, (new left front fender painted, new doors painted, rear quarter painted,) as well as front and rear bumpers. The paint is close, but does not match. there's too much metal flake, and too much of a gold hue to the paint. most noticable where the fender meets the hood and A Pillar, and where the rear bumper and the right rear quarter panel meet...

has anyone else had body work done and had the silver match more closely? my car was mint before the accident, no scratches or dings, and now it's two colors and has other paint issues. it's killing me as I'm really picky about these things.

(the body shop has been very nice about trying to make things right with the problems with the clear coat - runs, orange peel, globs, chipped paint- so I'm not going to knock them on it too much yet, but i want to see if i should really get upset about the color matching, or if it's just too much to ask).... I had paint work done on my silver audi A4 and the paint matching was spot on...

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v706/HotRod03/IMG_4393copy.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v706/HotRod03/IMG_4748.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v706/HotRod03/IMG_4749.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v706/HotRod03/IMG_4750.jpg

Though I don't own a Silver LGT and this story isn't about my LGT when I was rear ended in my 240sx, They repainted the rear of the car and mixed the paint in the surrounding panels so it didn't look obvious that it was repainted. I can tell because they used a gold flake in the new paint where as the old paint was silver flake (note: this is on a Dark Green car). You can only tell its repainted when you look closely at the front and rear of the car.

Eric

Normally, your biggest color matching issues would be between plastic bumpers and metal fenders or doors. But in your case, the A-pillar to fender color difference is really obvious in the one picture.

When we had body work done on the wife's old Acura, they used too much metal flake in the paint and it really stood out in the sun. That car was a beater DD and I didn't have to look at it on a daily basis so it was never addressed.

ignore him, he'll go away.

Hmmm well I can say when I had my front bumper replaced a few months ago it came looking exactly the same.

From the PICS it almost looks like the body shop used a gold flec paint instaed of silver flec on the panels. Alos looks like they painded just thoese panels instaed of blending the paint into the surronding panels.

Honestly if it where me I'd be up the shops ass till they fixed it.

i have a silver 05 and i just got rear ended...they had to get me a new bumper and a side molding... i was looking at them and thinking there was a little difference like that too and this was painted by a subaru dealership. i think it just might be the difference between brand new paint and old paint. anyway, there's noone in this world that will notice except for you!! thats how i feel about it anyway because its barely noticable to begin with.

I don't know why people lay down and take it. You didn't ask to be hit. Like you said your car was mint before some idiot nailed you. I'd keep climbing up someones ass until it was done to my satisfaction. What happens when you trade it in or go to sell it? Its going to be obvious it was in an accident. I can tell from your photos, and I'm sure its even more obvious in person. Tell them to fix it right, or pay another body shop that knows what they are doing to fix it. I've had 2 cars hit and repaired. The first one was a '96 240sx (1 year old at the time). I examined the car before I left the shop and I didn't sign any paperwork until they matched the paint better.

It took another 2 weeks but they got it right and I was satisfied.

Archived