LegacyGT.com

Exhaust System Combos

NeedMoreBoost

I KNOW THERE ARE SIMILAR POST BUT... I'm a turbo virgin so bare with me... I would like to get a few bolt-ons. Eventually, I would like an intake, exhaust (including uppipe/downpipe if worthwhile) and a re-flash (ECUtek, Accessport, XEDE) so you guys know where I'm heading. I want the car to be reliable because it's a daily driver so I'm not going crazy in the long-run. I want some opinions on which exhaust combination to get first because I'm not buying a $1100.00 carbon fiber intake: 1. Cat-Back Exhaust & Downpipe 2. Cat-Back Exhaust & Uppipe 3. Downpipe & Uppipe, no Cat-Back 4. ANY SUGGESTIONS OR OPINIONS FROM YOU (headers, boost controller, panel filter or cold air intake) I can’t afford all three right now and I don't know what order to buy them in. Someone give me some direction. I would like to buy two sections soon. Witch exhaust parts produce the most power increases? Any comments on passing inspection would be great too! Thanks!

Good questions NeedMore, I was wondering about some of the same stuff. I was advised to be paitient (yeah, right), because the first products released aren't always the best. Not to slight any companies' products, but some historically have had more of a visual effect than a functional one. Plus many people on this forum have used their own creativity and ingenuity in modding their cars. So in the end it's all about what you want, like, and can afford. Looks like we're in the some boat, bro!
:orly:YA RLY!!! Home of +2500 useless posts!!!!

The easiest is the Cat-back only. If your gonna do an UP you mine as well do the DP at the same time cause doing it separate is like doin the same job over again. So to kill two birds with one stone I would go for UP and DP first. Only prob is there is no DP specifically made for the GT. Unless your into fabricating a STI DP then your gonna have to wait. Don't bother with a CAI or SR....won't do squat and may hurt more than help. Boost controller....If you are new to FI then I would advise you to leave this mod alone till you learn a bit about your car. Headers....well..it depends on who ya talk to. I can vouch that the Borla headers for the STI are a direct bolt on.
OBAMA......One Big Ass Mistake America!

• 5 months later...
Not true, Perrin makes a DP for the GT, i got it put on a couple weeks ago along with a UP.. I payed around 750 for both and installation which isnt that bad.. but it does make a difference, you def can feel more power and it gives a more of a boxer sound..

... your particular answer would be "any one you like". You could pick the race series or the street series... just the body and your own tip or one that comes with a tip pre-installed. Big, small, long or short. I think mine are the 14827 or 37 street series. 7" long, single walled, 4" wide outlet. Once i figure out what's wrong with my computer, i'll record some clips for everyone. It's loud, obnoxious, drones and is awesome.

[QUOTE]almondcookieIt's loud, obnoxious, drones and is awesome.[/QUOTE] I think those would be shortcomings. My progress is going like this install uppipe and downpipe then staright for tune. I will do the catback last as it will yeild the least gains. The stock system being stealth is nice anyway.

[size=2]I'm over exaggerating. It's definitely a lot louder on the inside which I think it's because the wagon and the shape of the rear tailgate and the echoing effect. If I let the engine wind down or I hammer it, you can definitely hear it. But cruising and such isn't bad at all. Overall just the cat-back will more than give you that boxer manly sound. It's really hard to explain all the sound at different speeds. I drove my friends around (they sat in the back and in the trunk) and they said it sounds awesome. I know that UP and the DP is the best exhaust mod. I'm keeping up with all the current conversations here on this forum. Right now, I'm going to wait until the dust settles on all the different types and brands. You're doing all 3 just in a different order than me. Since I haven't decided on the UP/DP and I know once I get those I'm going to be doing a cat-back... Why not. Strictly looks, if I didn't say anything, not everyone will pick up on it. They might say something that the muffler bodies are shiney but that's about it. From the side, the mangaflows don't hang low enough that they look like greddys or N1's or whatever and the tip's aren't that visible because of the bumper. Also, even though the tips are 7" long, they're not flush with the bumper arch because the muffler sits further back. If the arch width is ~3-4" wide, the tip ends about 1" in, so it's roughly about where stock would be. The design I picked is single walled so there's no chrome or rolled edges or anything so it just looks like a regular muffler tip, only a little bigger. I really need to figure out why my capture card is being stupid. The video is dropping frames and the audio is about 2 seconds behind. ATI sucks.[/size]

Archived