LegacyGT.com

Help! Remove excess wax puhlease

Folks, searching didn't help much...

This is a question that i had earlier but some armourAll fixed the issue temporarily but now i got the girlfriend pissed so i need professional help.

Here is the story in 'detail'... :)

I waxed my car using California Gold Cleaner Wax to get rid of dirt and build a base for my wax. I ended up putting too much in the rear bumper on the black strip just towards the bottom of the bumper. When it was buffing it off it wouldn't come off and dried up leaving it look ugly. So i used the armourall "Yellow jar" protectant wipes and they seemed to cover that area in an oily layer so it disappeared...problem solved...

However yesterday i was waxing the girlfriend's green Corolla (I know i know)...and put too much of cleaner wax in the black grille that is the same rugged/matty plastic surface. I thought it would come out but it looked really ugly and never came out after drying. The girlfriend didn't really say anything but i know she ain't liking it. She does feel happy the car is all shiny. :)

I need help in finding out what to use on such surfaces to dissolve the wax and remove it.

PS: On a funny note this is the first time she waxed her car. After we are done buffing and i am sweating like a doggie, my girlfriend of ten months who is aware of my detailing obsession asks me quietly but with a concerned tone..."So how frequently will we have to do this?" LOL! :D

Yes, Peanut Butter.

I would actually recommend Peanut Butter first because A) I think it will get the job done, B) you probably already have it, C) it won't dry out or eat the plastic like rubbing alcohol could (but very likely will not).

Also, have you tried scrubbing with mild dish soap and water (like dawn?). That is usually pretty good at removing waxes.

What have you tried to use so far to remove it?

Try one of the following...

1. Rubbing alcohol

2. Meguiars #39

3. Mr Clean Magic Eraser

4. Peanut Butter

Ahhhh.... advice after my own heart. That is exactly what I would recommend. I would put them in reverse order maybe, but those are the things that would work. WD40 and a tooth brush works too. The Peanut Butter works well because the peanut oil will soak up the wax in the texture of rubber and plastic trim. As long as your car isn't allergic to Peanuts then it works fine.

“Cleanliness becomes more important as godliness becomes more unlikely.”

O C D E T A I L S . C O M

OCDETAILS BLOG

How do I remove dried peanut butter from around my emblems?

The way you would remove wax or polish build up. Use a towel and a toothpick and probably soapy water or QD or whatever floats your boat. It is the areas like emblems that make detailing what it is. Once you start cleaning wax off of trim and crap from around your emblems then you have crossed over from 'car washing' to 'detailing'.

“Cleanliness becomes more important as godliness becomes more unlikely.”

O C D E T A I L S . C O M

OCDETAILS BLOG

^+1 Also try Q-tips, buy a whole box because if this residue bothers you you are well on the way to detailing madness and you'll need them ;)

Try to tape of the emblems in the future with mild painters tape before you wax. Then afterwards use a spray sealant which usually don't leave a residue to do the emblems :)

Archived