LegacyGT.com

Loud Exhaust & Need a Mechanic in Orange County, CA

I had my oil changed, air filter replaced, and a transmission service (typical $69.96 service) done about 4-5 months ago. As soon as I left, my exhaust sounded really loud when I accelerated. It's at its loudest when I have to accelerate quickly, which happens a lot because in order to get out of my cul-de-sac you have to speed up with the flow of traffic in a hurry. It's a very deep throaty exhaust sound that I guess you could equate to having a Mid/High-Flow exhaust--just enough to hear it while your driving w/ the windows up, (more when you accelerate), but not enough to get a cop to look or annoy another driver. Also, its not a studdered muffle, but more of a constant higher-air flow sound. I'm thinking that maybe when they worked on the transmission they messed with my exhaust and possibly created a leak somewhere. I'm just worried about it creating a major problem in the future. I took it to back to that mechanic and they claim they don't hear a thing. They must be totally deaf. Also, I need a recommendation for a good mechanic in Orange County to take my car for an overall inspection. I was going to take it to Renick Subaru in Fullerton, but those guys are complete a-holes who have no idea what they're talking about. I was on my way to Irvine Subaru to get an oil change, but when I passed by them they were PACKED. The specs on my car: 2001 Legacy GT Limited Engine: 2.5-liter sohc flat-4 Transmission: 4 speed Automatic Horsepower: 165 @ 5600 (I plan on getting an 05 GT in the future, or maybe even an 06 if it takes that long :o) ) Any advise or help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Honestly I can't see how they could have F'd up your exhaust with the work the did. Unless they hit the exhaust workin on the tranny and popped a weld or something. I'd make sure they put an air filter in....sounds stupid..but you'd be surprised. Why don't you just put your car up on jack stands and get under that bad boy and see if you can find the leak. Just don't let the car run too long and burn you.
OBAMA......One Big Ass Mistake America!

I found out what was wrong. When they replaced the air filter they didn't do it right. They left the air box totally loose. So I took it to the dealer to make sure that was the only problem. They reinstalled the air box for free and changed the oil and filter and inspected all of my hoses, belts, etc. Clean bill of health.

Whew! Glad to hear that easily resolved. What a PITA to have to take it to the dealer to resolve. I'd have the dealer write up what they had to do to repair it, take it back to the previous "mechanic" and ask for a refund or at least what you had to pay the dealer to fix their farcled up mess. SBT
- Pro amore Dei et patriam et populum -

"I'd have the dealer write up what they had to do to repair it, take it back to the previous "mechanic" and ask for a refund or at least what you had to pay the dealer to fix their farcled up mess." That's the first thing my girlfriend told me when I told her what was wrong. She's a huge MR2 fanatic (she has a 93 mr2 turbo) and practically blew a gasket when I told her. The problem with that is that I retardedly took my car to Purrfect Auto. At the time I just wanted a quick oil change and I stupidly didn't research them before I stopped in. They are one of the WORST auto mechanic shops in California. If I go in there they're not going to do a damn thing. In fact, I took my car in the very next day after I noticed there was something wrong and they said they couldn't hear anything. You'd have to be very hard of hearing to not hear my car and the noise it was making. They're just shady and I'd rather not deal with them ever again in my lifetime. It was a PITA to take it to the dealer because I had to wait ALMOST 2 HOURS for an oil change and for them to look at the air box. I used my time wisely though. I test drove a new 05 GT. It makes my GT look bad (if not horrible), but shows the giant steps that Subaru has taken.

Understand your reticence. I'd go to the shop anyway and point out the damage that they caused, ask for the refund and wait for a few minutes. If you don't get results, take your prepared-in-advance picketting sign out of your car, and start walking the sidewalk announcing whatever your grievance is to the world, including any potential customers. Within a few minutes you'll have your refund. And if they threaten you, calmly act like you're dialing 911 and tell the police that you are being threatened and you'd like an officer to investigate. Sounds like a lot but we've got to hold these buttheads accountable or unsuspecting (or worse yet, unable to do anything about it) people will continue to get ripped off and noone will benefit from your experience. I have zero tolerance for shops that do p-poor work because they know they can continue to get away from it. They rob you and me and they give reputable shops a bad name by association. Just my .02 worth SBT
- Pro amore Dei et patriam et populum -

Archived