LegacyGT.com

7500 miles and clutch problem already?!?!?

subylegacy

Guest turboman
Subaru likely has several vendors that supply clutches or clutch facings. Apparently one of the suppliers had a bad batch get through. That's why not every car has the problem. We have to continue to make a stink about it to get anything done. It's an expensive fix for Subaru so they will drag their feet as long as they can to determine the extent of the problem. Since the Legacy GT is their "flagship" I can't see them waiting very long.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply
SOA and dealer response will be interesting. The tech at my dealership has seen several exploded WRX tranny's and melted clutch plates that were confessed to be caused by 5000+ rpm launches at the dragstrip. In other words there is a history of not-used-for-purpose-intended failures. He was laughing that kids should learn the hard lessons about traction and weak links in the drivetrain with a $3000 Camaro. Think about real drag race teams and how many driveline parts they consider to be ***disposable*** after hard runs on sticky tires. If ya wanna play hard, build a dedicated track car upgraded for that specific purpose (drag, open track, rally, drifting, whatever) and let Subaru sell interesting cars at a reasonable price. For us LGT owners, the extreme cases of abuse before you just make it harder to win the "I only sort of squeezed the throttle a bit" argument. It takes larger numbers of failures to convince a manufacturer there's a design or quality issue.

JC, Chicagoland bassist & opentracker

2005 LGT 5MT Ltd wagon

2005 LGT 5MT Ltd sedan

I would hope that Subaru would realize that the intended use of a WRX vs Legacy GT is not at all the same. At least not from what I can tell. I certainly didn't buy the GT because I wanted to run down to Englishtown a couple of times a month; I simply didn't want a car the size of the Legacy with only 168 HP. And besides, a couple of folks have chmied in here saying that they race their car now and again and are not experiencing any troubles.

Archived