LegacyGT.com

sirius module

mmanus88

i am in search of a module that has the same design as the kenwood ready2go unit ("flat book design" since that type would fit perfect in the ashtray section. all of the other designed are "vertical." i check sirius's sight and the ready2go is the only such unit that is listed there, does sirius have all modules avalable for its service or are there any others not on their site?

[font=Times New Roman][size=3]I don't know about "other" available options for horizontal design HU, but the Kenwood fits perfect in the hole where the ashtray originally went. The ashtray comes out really easy and can be replaced easily if you want to take the HU out...[/size][/font]

[color=black]It was pretty easy to take the ashtray out, but I have the manual transmission too, so it might complicate things if you have the auto. [/color] [color=black] [/color] [color=black]With the manual, you first unscrew the shifter knob. If you keep the boot from twisting there's no need to separate the boot from the knob. Once the knob is completely free of the shifter, place your hand down into the back opening of the trim that surrounds the shifter (kind of down into the shifter boot so you can get your fingers on the underside of the trim piece. That shifter surround trim is held on in the back by two clips and is "keyed" in front, so if you pull up firmly (with the hand in the back of the boot opening) you can release the two clips that hold the back of the trim piece. From there it takes a little finagling to unplug the wires from the ashtray and get the shifter boot to clear the shifter. The ashtray wires have a standard automotive type plug, so simply unplug. From there the ashtray mechanism is held in from the back by two Phillips screws (one on either side of the ashtray assembly). Unscrew and the ashtray assembly almost falls out.[/color] [color=black] [/color] [color=black]I attached my HU to a piece of Plexiglas using some industrial strength double sided tape (sounds cheesy, but it works and you can't see it). I drilled two holes in the Plexiglas that correspond to the holes that the ashtray used and then used the screws from the ashtray assembly. For +12V constant, I ran a wire over to my fuse box (just used a multimeter to find an always “hot” wire), for +12V acc, I used the ashtray power lead (multimeter again, but make sure you don’t get the one for the light), and for ground, there is a nut/bolt that is down by the shifter mechanism that I used for ground to the body of the car. [/color] [color=black] [/color] [color=black]The only thing to keep in mind when putting the trim back is to keep your wires out of the shifter mechanism when you put the trim piece back, make sure you get the "keys" at the front of the trim lined up correctly, and press the clips back down firmly so you don't get noisy/funny looking trim. Oh, and it's easy to catch the plastic trim on the parking break "leather/cloth/trim fabric" and it will mark it up, so when you put the trim back you might want to try to protect the cloth so you don't damage it. [/color] [color=black] [/color] [color=black]This will all make so much more sense when you tear it apart...[/color]

• 4 months later...
I really like this installation of the Sirius StarBase. I did the same installation and it turned out very well. Close the lid and poof, it disappears. Also it is one of the smallest display units available for Sirius. [url="http://www.legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=9138"]http://www.legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=9138[/url] -S

• 2 weeks later...
Yes, Screaming 2.5, can you please repost the pictures of the Kenwood Ready2Go unit in your LGT. I'm planning on going with the Sirius Starbase in my LGT like Quest did in the above links, but now I want to see your set up first. Thanks

Archived