LegacyGT.com

SoCal: Redline Time Attack - Buttonwillow

BOXRPWR

Attended the two-day event April 28-29 at Buttonwillow Raceway in CA. Saturday was Open Track day and Sunday was the Time Attack event. Had a blast! Lots of great cars. Lots of diversity of class, make/models.

Ran my stock Mazdaspeed3 on Saturday but not the official event. It was fun. I still struggle with overcoming my hesitancy to running the car balls-out. I can't divorce myself from the realization that its my daily driver - my only car! I think that I need a dedicated track car to really let it all hang out.

Speaking of letting it loose, Mark (Colakitty) came on Saturday and ran his Legacy on steroids with R-comp tires. My compliments to Mark - he's a darn good driver. By that I mean he's more than willing to let it all hang out. Took a ride-along in his LGT and it was a blast! My first run in R-comp tires. Man, what a tremendous difference it makes. Still he was 4-wheel power drifting and counter-steering like a mad man. :eek:

I took a ton of pics but can't load most up until Monday night from home. So I'll just post a few teaser pics for now.

http://img139.imageshack.us/img139/1703/pict0231dq5.jpg

http://img139.imageshack.us/img139/2194/pict0130me0.jpg

http://img139.imageshack.us/img139/9611/pict0129co7.jpg

SWEET!!! Shiro was telling me about an event on May 13th. I would love to do it, but it is Mothers Day. I can't blow off my mom to go thrash my car now can I?? I will be there in spirit.

:icon_twis Slide It Sideways :icon_twis

Oh that's Ryan's STI with a GT35R setup. It was one of two HarmanMotive sponsored STIs in the event.

Unfortuately, Ryan lost 3rd gear during the first of two Time Attack sessions. That's the downside to highly modded cars, they tend to be a bottomless pit of upgrade, fix, break, replace (repeat as required).

Ryan put a good lap time down before the mishap. He ran right at 2:01 to 2:02 I believe his class winning time (Modified-AWD) was around 1:58.

During the morning practice session, I also enjoyed a ride-along with Ryan in his wicked STI. Of course he's running R-compounds.

All I can say is "Yeeee Haaaa!"

Hey Mark,

you took off without checking the lap times for that 5th session on Saturday. ends up that holding my transponder in your car actually worked!

you ran a lap time of 2:15 not bad at all :woowoo:

Hey Mark,

you took off without checking the lap times for that 5th session on Saturday. ends up that holding my transponder in your car actually worked!

you ran a lap time of 2:15 not bad at all :woowoo:

Wow!! I'm suprised that it actually worked with it inside the car :). Thanks again Kevin, for letting me use the transponder... my first official timed run at Buttonwillow ;). It was a fun day as usual, besides the fact that it got to 100+ degrees on the track.

Now get your MS3 modded up and tear up the track :icon_twis

Archived