LegacyGT.com

Kartboy STS problem :((

Hello guys,

Okay, I finally got my Kartboy STS this week. Well, today I tried to install this poppy, but I caught a snag....here's the problem.. When you remove the "C snap ring", how you suppose pop out the shift lever? I read all over the forums and peopls say it slide out like a butter. Well, I hate to say, mine isnt like that at all. I fido with this for like 50min and finally got it out and then I crack that white plastic bush :mad: I was able to put in one piece together, but I dont know how long will this last. Tomorrow I will stop by the dealer for that part.

So, loooooong story short. Any1 have better luck than me?

tia

klnyc

Nono, I have the STS in there already WITH the semi broken castle not bushing or what ever you called that white nylon bushing on the shifter lever :lol:

Yah, Im gong over SUbaru dealer near by and pick one up. I hope they are all the same from 1977-2007 :p .

Thanks for the reply, let me try that trick above ^^^^^^^^^^.

I found that mine DID NOT slide out like butter. I found I had to put quite a bit of upward force (to break the vaccum seal of the grease), then a quick impulse force upwards and it popped out. NOT like butter - but slide back in like butter...
I'm pleasantly surprised... It was most certainly worth the couple bucks and 10 mins of my time.

CLICK HERE FOR THE HOGZAUST

hey - i missed you got it out already. Was it just split one way? Like cracked in half?? As far as I know, it supposed to be that way, so you can slip in the ball joint. If your new part comes in 1 piece, well, let me know - cause mines broken.
I'm pleasantly surprised... It was most certainly worth the couple bucks and 10 mins of my time.

CLICK HERE FOR THE HOGZAUST

hey - i missed you got it out already. Was it just split one way? Like cracked in half?? As far as I know, it supposed to be that way, so you can slip in the ball joint. If your new part comes in 1 piece, well, let me know - cause mines broken.

Damm really? Yah, it does look like crack in half, but I'm not too sure if this how is should be or not. Any guru here can chime on this one?

My part should here by this week, I will compare it.

Mine was already a split piece too - that's the OEM design..

And it was a #$%$%&^ to pop out too. But the Kartboy shifter is nice, especially with the bushings.

I did notice a little more vibration sensation in the shifter but I believe its a result of the solid steel construction as opposed to the OEM version which actually had a rubber bushing inside the shift rod to dampen the tranny feel...

Yah, let me know if the new one is 1 piece or broken - but i'm confident it's supposed to be "split". Mine is working flawlessly as a "split" part - so I'm sure it's supposed to be that way.

Mine is working flawlessy too :cool: See, all the "How to install STS ", I have not seen close up shot of the nylon bushing or show in split pieces.... If some one show it, I wouldnt be soo anal about it. Oh well, I guess I will be the 1st one showing the "split/crack or what ever you called nylon bushing" I'll keep you guys in loop.

Please Do.

OMFG, I knew this wont be easy. So I stopped by the dealer and pick up the the part. Man, by looking at the part in the part counter I know is a wrong one. I told the parts person show me the "Gear Shift Lever section" on the computer and it look like the right one, but it doesnt look like what I see on the repair manual.. Anyway, enough yupping here's the wrong part I'm going show you.

Look at the diagram and the actual bushing.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v229/klnyc/Outback/DSC03080.jpg

Here's another one.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v229/klnyc/Outback/DSC03081.jpg

Yeah, that is not the right part. Sux, man.

FYI my lever did not slide out like butter either. I yanked on it and ended up bending the c-clamp because it got hooked on some other piece of wire, almost like a thin coat hanger, that was stuffed down there and twisted into a circle :iam:

Luckily the c-clamp was ok to reuse. Well I haven't noticed any problem yet anyway :redface:. I did not reuse the mystery piece.

Yeah, that is not the right part. Sux, man.

FYI my lever did not slide out like butter either. I yanked on it and ended up bending the c-clamp because it got hooked on some other piece of wire, almost like a thin coat hanger, that was stuffed down there and twisted into a circle :iam:

Luckily the c-clamp was ok to reuse. Well I haven't noticed any problem yet anyway :redface:. I did not reuse the mystery piece.

yeah, that "thin" wire is to hold up the boot.Is just a saftey wire..When I did front and rear bushing...That boot popped out too..But I have to rewire that boot over again.

Is your bushing in 2 pieces? (split in half sort of speak)

Okay guys, I went to the dealer today morning and return the wrong part. Man, it was a miracle that they have this correct piece in stock:eek:

The part guy told me, it happened to him few time before...

Okay here's the pics I was telling you guys from the 1st post to now...

See the difference? :mad: Man, this going be my last time for this project :lol:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v229/klnyc/Outback/DSC03084.jpg

Finally got this sucker installed. :p

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v229/klnyc/Outback/DSC03088.jpg

Archived