LegacyGT.com

Wife said OK to R34

Legal Smhegal!

The wife said as long as I pursue my studies of hard drive repair I can buy a R34 within 2 years. Convince me to/not to! I have wanted one of these cars for obligatory reasons for years! :) Between us we are making close to $120k right now and my biggest expenses are beer and supplements. Am I an idiot? More at 11, Alex?

What's the availability of parts and/or a skilled service tech if whatever needs to be fixed goes beyond DIY?

IMO, there are enough cool cars to choose from here in the States now that it's an unecessary risk/expense. But, hey, it's your money.

How much do R34s go for now? When they were first being offered they were almost $90K and R32s were going for ~$40K-ish.

You could get a lot of cars that will be less headache to service in the $40-90K range...

Guest Gitster

I hear the way to do it is swap out a 240 firewall w/ VIN intact. I really dont understand how a RHD car can be made legal in this country. I saw a bunch of them in the Bahamas. I think taxes to import form there are probably outrageous, but hey at least its closer than Japan. Charter a LARGE boat, haha.

This is one of my dream cars as well. Just dont buy it on EBay. I guess down there $120k / year can get you pretty far. I dont think thats enough to buy an R34 up here. Thats about average household income for the northeast.

Lots of R32s up here in canada, and theyre cheap $8-20k cdn

Heres just whats available near me in Toronto, im sure theres a bunch in Vancouver, and you must have them in the US as well

http://trader.ca/search/Results.asp?BFROM=1&BAD=N&BPRICE=N&BTYPE=B&BCAT=1&BOREGION=100&BYEAR1=&BYEAR2=&BPRICE1=&BPRICE2=&BKEYWORD=&BMAKE=745&BMODEL=SKYLINE&category=1&region=100&makeid=745&modelcode=203852&adcopy=&multiphoto=N&SortBy=askprice&SortOrder=d&DisplayType=&DisplayRowCount=&mknm=745&mdnm=SKYLINE&subcategory=&CAT=1#

R34 that may be a little tougher, they arent at the 15 year mark yet are they?

But noone here will say dont do it, we all played video games and have been drooling over them for years!

On a second thought, why not to wait for this \/ \/

http://www.channel4.com/4car/media/spyshots/N/nissan/03-large/skyline-gtr-oct06-01.jpg

They should be here soon and they will be legal and you can go to a dealership if problems are to arise?

Kak dumaesh'? :p

For the price of a used R34 (If you can get it into the US) you could wait and get a NEW SKyline GT-R when they arrive to our shores. When Motorex was alive and kicking it would cost nearly $100k to get a decent mileage R34 into the US. That was including the cost to purchase, ship, and federalize the vehicle which would usually take 3-4 months. Now that Motorex is gone the only Skylines you can get into the US are the much older R32s and a few of the R33s.

Guest Gitster

R32s are sweet though, RWD.

And the new car is an Infinity GTR, not a Nissan Skyline R34 GTR. So theres a difference.

I hope you are good at DIY repairs. You will probably be hard pressed to find someone who can work on a skyline and a swapped 240 for you. Not to mention finding parts for it.

I still think you would be happier finding a good condition Z32 TT. You could spend the 60k you saved on making it whatever you want. It also wouldn't be a like a bat signal for theives.

Guest Gitster

^^^ I agree with that to a point. Ive always loved the Z32's as well. They are also super rare though, I know not as rare as an R34 but still, its gonna take some time and money to find a mint one. There are definitely performance shops that can work on a 300ZX and make it the nasty.

You gotta assume a Nissan shop can work on an R34 though. The engine should be cake to them. Its not a crazy setup. I guess the only thing youd have to worry about is the AWD system. But parts can be had from overseas.

I guess bottom line, IMHO, I would personally need to be bringing home alot more money than you are to full engage in an operation like this, but if you do good luck.

On a second thought, why not to wait for this \/ \/

http://www.channel4.com/4car/media/spyshots/N/nissan/03-large/skyline-gtr-oct06-01.jpg

They should be here soon and they will be legal and you can go to a dealership if problems are to arise?

Kak dumaesh'? :p

X 2 :) Although you look at this thing and what comes to mind? Well for me it's a mixed vehicle, tiburon and ah 350... I'd hate to say it but they should have stuck more closley to the r34 body style. I understand that their trying to redo the vehicle's look and all but they could have done it better ( I think ) it's up to you if you can fork that kinda cash for a sports car, do whatever makes you happy....

^^^ word. You guys have seen the new skyline. It's the G35.

Nice condition TT Z32s go for 10-15k around here. If you are looking for super low miles on a late model then you are probably going to be pusing close to the 20k range.

R34s are loaded with a ridiculous amount of computer equipment for HICAS and ATTESA. Having to trouble shoot and fix something there will be a pain. You are probably right about just working on the engine. A high performance shop that has experience working on other turbo nissans could probably handle it. The problem is finding a shop like that.

Guest Gitster
^^^ word. You guys have seen the new skyline. It's the G35.

Im sorry but if your gonna make that comparison to a vehicle with a different engine and 2 less turbos, you could have said the the late 1990's Maximas were the american version of the R34.

The new Infinity coming out in 2009 is the GTR. Its not a Skyline, and its not an R34. Its worded to have a V8. I just cant call it the new Skyline.

Legal Smhegal!

The wife said as long as I pursue my studies of hard drive repair I can buy a R34 within 2 years. Convince me to/not to! I have wanted one of these cars for obligatory reasons for years! :) Between us we are making close to $120k right now and my biggest expenses are beer and supplements. Am I an idiot? More at 11, Alex?

I actually shy away from the car due to the kinda of driving I do.. harder to find typical replacement parts at a ready state. I just can't goto a Nissan dealership here and say "I need such part".

As much fun as they are, I think it's the after math of upkeep later that makes it harder for you to keep it around and drive it spirited if that's the goal.. otherwise i see no point in buying a performance car just for the sake of having it.. I would just aim for something more unique like an Ultima or Caterham Super 7

Keefe

Archived