LegacyGT.com

So if the GT has such "poor" braking performance...

Deer Killer

Still waiting for my LegGT to be delivered any day now so no daily first hand experience, but I think a number of LegGT owners have said the "feel" of brake pedal and grab progression required more pedal travel and tromping than expected. Lots of discussion about how good they are when you get into them hard, but for more subtle use, they take a bit of getting used to. I hope to find out very soon. My short impression from the ride & drive track event was that those big brakes overpowered the tires ability to hold. A repetitive theme on this board. Bad tires, bad tires.

[quote name='kanoswrx']Whoever said the Legacy had poor braking performance? If anything all it has is poor tires, ugrade those to something that doesn't suck and you will really see how good the stock brakes are.[/QUOTE] That would be me- I test drove it and wasn't used to the feel of the brake pedal. I think they should make the brake pedal feel like the gas pedal. You flex your pinkie toe on the gas pedal and you pour on the speed. Why can't the brakes be like that? How big are the brakes on the 2.5GT? Is there anyway to change the pedal travel on the brakes?

They are pretty big... 12.3 inches vented up front and over 1.5 inches thick. 11.3 inches vented rear over 1 inch thick. Good sized calipers. Electronic Brakeforce Distribution. The system is almost as massive as the one found in the STi. The system is powerful, one member did repeated 80-0 stops with the tires locking up and ABS going all the way. The tires are "SH*T" and dont grip for anything. Brake lines are a bit flexy but stainless replacements stiffen up the system alot. The pad compund is also very mild to reduce noise and prolong wear. If inital bite is what you are looking for that might be your answer. The only turd on the entire system is the RE-92's

i personaly have no breaking issues, as for the tires i think they are ok. The RE92's have ok grip and they dont bother me too much. When i need new tires i will be getting rims and then soe nokian wr's for the stock rims. I'm not shure what tires for spring-fall but i have some time.

[quote name='il collaudatore']That would be me- I test drove it and wasn't used to the feel of the brake pedal. I think they should make the brake pedal feel like the gas pedal. You flex your pinkie toe on the gas pedal and you pour on the speed. Why can't the brakes be like that? How big are the brakes on the 2.5GT? Is there anyway to change the pedal travel on the brakes?[/QUOTE] I personally prefer a stiff brake pedal to one that would be mushy like the gas pedal, I think most people agree with me on that, hence the reason why people buy SS Lines and upgraded fluid, to get rid of the soft/mushy feeling.

I replaced my brakelines with stainless steel braided lines and you could feel a big difference wgen you step on the pedal, it's more stiffer in a sense that as you apply pressure you can feel the brakes compared to the stock lines that are mushy.

Archived