LegacyGT.com

A jumpy engine

Reuben

Hey all, i have an issue with my 94 legacy (Liberty) LX, and it's EJ22E

When in traffic, and cruising along and very slow speed.. maybe 10-20 Kph, the engine starts to jerk about. it will only do this when I'm not accelerating, or accelerating very slowly. An example would be me in 2nd gear at about 15 mph, slowing down at a slow rate. Foot off the clutch, foot very lightly on the gas, and all of a sudden it.. well, it's hard to explain, it's like the engine stops for a moment, then goes again. The speeds it happens at are far too fast for the car to be stall ing, that's not what it is. It happens anywhere around 2000 or 3000 rpm, and only when im in gear, put the clutch in and the engine spools down without a hitch. Apparently there were two possible reasons for this, and the mechanic fixed one, i can't remember what it was, and the other was a bad o2 sensor, which he didn't replace. It's still doing it, and he said the o2 sensor would hardly be noticeable, but i can assure the problem is. does anyone have any idea what could be doing this? :confused: I'm sure i'm eating through my clutch in rushour to dampen the effect of it!

I'm sorry i don't know a heck of allot about engines, im learning though. And no the problem is not me, my dad (former owner) and mechanic both got the problem.

Sounds transmission related to me. My bro's Impreza used to jerk because some of the gears were missing a few teeth. Could also be fly wheel related.

yea.. i was thinking flywheel too.. do any of your gears pop out?

Clutch is fairly new, the gears are all fine. I am fairly sure that is not transmission related myself. How can i find out what the ECU is trying to tell me? (and no, the check engine light isn't on)

Does it really sound transmision related? wouldn't it be lurching about at a constant rate, and not randomly?

I just checked now, and it was fine.. sitting at 1250 rpm. I remember it dropping away from there by as much as 200 or 300 rpm before it catches itself and brings it up to speed again.

Archived