LegacyGT.com

So one of my friends has a gt limited and he said Subaru recomends putting standard oil in his car. I dont know if thats a good things. Usually with high performance cars you would use synthetic. Is he crazy or should I just use synthetic. Just got my gt limited and i need my first change in about 200 miles.

Short answer: put whatever you want in, so long as the oil meets Subaru's oil specifications (GF-3, etc). Search around on the forums, there is plenty of info on this. Other dealers have been reported to be using synthetic for their oil changes.

FWIW, I've been using Quaker State "Q" Advanced Engine full synthetic with a 5k oil change interval, and my wear numbers look fine. I have posted my analysis from Blackstone labs on these forums for reference.

The Dude - Two inches and counting...:lol:

Here's another vote: use whatever you want. People use synthetic instead for several reasons:

1) To use longer change intervals - you can extend your interval by at least 50 % using synthetic instead. Some oils claim tripling your interval or more is doable, but I'd rather swap out the filter before going 10 or 15 k mi on my car, so I don't do this.

2) Better protection, both at cold start and at high revs.

3) It's clear that synthetic oils use results in less engine wear, but its all relative, so some peeps run synthetic for piece of mind.

4) To spend more money on oil changes. LOL

G/L

If you want to go synthetic, do it right off the bat. Those who have switched later on tend to see major oil consumption issues.

Scotty, I really think this is incorrect. It was true maybe 15 years ago, but no longer.

For the record, I switched at 5k mi on my 98 A4, at 18k mi on my LGT, and at 12k mi on my MX-5. No issues. Three data points. :lol:

I really don't know if stage 2 power changes anything, but so long as you keep your oil change intervals in check, regular dino will lubricate just fine. Oil is oil, and the lubrication will be fine until the it breaks down. The difference is synth can go longer. The main reason I went to synthetic is because you can have longer OCIs, not because of the marginally better protection.

If you're really worried, do a used oil analysis at Blackstone Labs. You cna mail in a sample and in a week, they tell you how things look in yoru engine relative to other engines of the same type that they have analyzed. For another $10, they will also check how much detergent is left in your oil, and make a recommendation as to how much longer you can go before your next change. Highly recommended.

The worst wears are every time you start your engine, especially in the morning after it has been setting there over night. The is because cylider walls are dry, and regular oil doesn't grab on when it's cold.

to use sythetic only if...

1. I don't like to warm up my car, i'm always in a rush.

2. I do racing, street and track. I push it to its limit.

3. sythetic oil is cheaper than standar oil in my area.

The worst wears are every time you start your engine, especially in the morning after it has been setting there over night. The is because cylider walls are dry, and regular oil doesn't grab on when it's cold.

I'm moving to NY :lol: In most other places, true synthetic oils cost significantly more than dino.

LOL synthetic is cheaper - wtf??

I think synthetic is definately better during startup, and especially cold startup - it flows better even at the same viscosity ratings when cold.

Of cause sythetic cost more than regular. I said "only if ~"

Archived