LegacyGT.com

Suspension knocking noise

abakja1

AC and I are taking Hotness to a mechanic today. If we decide to let them work on the car we will post up what the results are. I hope they are able to get it fixed.

I don't want to have to try and contact GPMoto. I have been tryign to get a copy of paperwork for our coilovers for three weeks and have not recieved a single response.

• 11 months later...
  • 3 months later...

Did anyone ever figure this out? I have a knocking. I didn't have any noise when I first installed, but I have had them on for about 3 months and had to raise them due to a change in tires (18"). Now I have the knocking noise. It's not like a metallic though. It has a plastic feel to it, not metal to metal. Driving me crazy, PLUS I' feeling like it may not be safe. If you have figured this out, please tell me, It's driving me nuts.

Thanks!

I've had the sound for just a month or so, but is getting worse everyday it seems. Some squeeking also on bumps at slower speeds. Also noticed when car is cold the crunching is loudest, and at slow speeds while turning. The freeways are awefull here and full of large indents/bumps that make my tires rub on the top inside of the wheel well everytime i go over it. Plus other major bumps that I thought my front end fell off. I think I might have abused the MR coilovers to much.....Im not sure they are made to take real abuse.

• 2 weeks later...

OK, so here's an update. I emailed Megan Racing several times without getting any response from them. After 2 weeks, I called them. They really did not acknowledge that the email system did nothing for me, but I spoke to a guy name Sirius in tech support. He told me that this had happened to him and here is what he had me do.

Remove the dampening adjustment on the offending coilover. You do that by unscrewing the silver collar under the adjustment knob. Then but an impact gun with a 17mm socket on the nut on the top of the dampner rod. He told me to hit it a couple of times with the impact gun and NOT to let it just run for a while. I actually used a 17mm wrench and an Allen wrench to hold the rod still. When I first put a socket on the nut, I could spin the nut by hand! In any case, I did tighten that nut and Viola! No more rattle!!!

I just did the exact same thing on my Konis. I had the same knocking, very slight over bumpy roads. The top nut (19mm in this case) was loose even though when installing a month ago I tightened it to 55 ft lbs as the instructions indicated. The factory shocks top rod nuts used 1-time crimped nuts with detents on the sides so they won't loosen. Aftermarked shocks use standard nuts , sometimes with split lock washers. I guess I could have used locktite. Anyone putting in an aftermarket suspension should check these nuts a few weeks after install.

Archived