LegacyGT.com

Test drove a Subaru 2.5GT Ltd. today

G35x? Don't like it. Now if there was a G35x coupe... that would be a different story. Anyways, when I buy depends on when I get into graduate school- so it could be anywhere from this December to June. I just got tired of reading about the cars in the forums and wanted to test drive 'em :)

[quote name='il collaudatore']That's an interesting comment considering the all of the responses have been in favor of the brakes on the Legacy. What don't you like about the brakes? Is it because "the first part of travel on a Subaru brake pedal is a lot of mush and then the bite starts"? Or is it something else you don't like about them?[/QUOTE] Dear il collaudatore, It's probably because he's a biased 330Ci snob. :roofles: Sincerely, Teh DM

[font=Arial][size=2]I agree with you about the brakes, the ones on my Jetta were much better. I'm actually going to ask the dealer to check them out when I take the car in for it's first service. Like PeteNJ suggested, check out [/size][/font][url="http://www.swedespeed.com/"][font=Arial][size=2][color=#1f467d][u]http://www.swedespeed.com[/u][/color][/size][/font][/url][font=Arial][size=2] if you haven't already, it's a good resource. My wife got a new S40 loaner the other day when she took our S60R in for service, she said the seats were some of the most uncomfortable seats she's ever sat in which I'm hearing is a common complaint. I believe her exact term for them was "torture racks". Also research the dealer before you by from them, I've heard about and personally experienced allot of bad customer service from Volvo dealers. Love the car......can't stand the dealership. I know there are good and bad out there but it seems in my area there are more bad.[/size][/font]

Due to a WSJ article damming European reliability my parents read, I'm now limited to Japanese cars since my parents were going to help me finance for this for getting into grad school, so they get the final say, and they say Subaru is a-okay! I'm looking to get a Satin white pearl w/ black interior 2.5GT Ltd. Is it true that white paint discolors after a few years? I'll be parking it outside for it's entire life. How long does it take to order a car? Do you think if I hold out until the 2006 model year that they may get xenon lights and maybe tune the brake pedal to give it a more STi feel? Have you heard anything new about the 2006 models?

[quote name='il collaudatore']I'm sure the frameless windows work, but they just look poorly built upon my first impression. And I didn't notice a cheap "clunk" when I closed the door, so I don't know what the car mags were saying. Is there anyway to reduce the height of seat?[/QUOTE] All of our Subes have the frameless windows and the only time I ever notice the "clunk" is when I close the door with the window rolled greater than 1/2 way down. And that's just a function of the loose window rattling in the door frame. It's no indication of inferior construction or poor design. It's more of an aurally aesthetic thing IMHO. WRT the seat height - With the LGT Ltd, I was able to electrically lower the seat height to a position that I was both comfortable in ergonomically (comfort wise) and driving (position and sight line wise). I'm not even sure how the base GT seat functions, unless it's like the 2nd and 3rd gens with the adjuster handle and that never seems to get me where I want to be height wise. SBT
- Pro amore Dei et patriam et populum -

[quote name='mccorry']I agree with the "sitting on" comment as I also feel like I sit a bit too high. However, I came to the LGT from a line of sports cars and the LGT's brake feel is as good, if not better than most....this is including a corvette and a Z28 Camaro.[/QUOTE] Well, I'm in the minority on both points: - I love the elevated seating position in the Legacy (I noticed it the first time I sat in the car and liked it; of all the cars I've ever had, this is the best seating I've had, save for the WRX seats which I liked a bit better). - I don't like the brakes (I prefer the bite that the WRX brakes had, though most on this board trash the WRX brakes and praise the LGT brakes). So, we all have different preferences. Sounds like your gut is attracting you to the Volvo. Listen to your gut.

05 SWP Legacy GT Limited (aka "Pearl")- 5MT AP - Stage 2 Protuned (238/284) - wife driven

07 BMW 335xi

Well I can't get the Volvo anymore since my parents were helping me to finance this purchase (if I get into grad school). They really do not trust European reliability and have limited me to Japanese cars only. So among Japanese cars, the 2.5GT is the car I want. I like the Impreza WRX for its performance, but can't stand the design. I was reading that C&D article and noticed that the 60-0mph stopping distances dramatically differed The TSX (192ft) and the Legacy (196ft) had the longest distances. The Audi stopped in 180ft and the Volvo stopped in at 166ft. BUT and this is a very big BUT... the Impreza WRX brakes stops in 123ft. Which proves that Subaru can do brakes. So why can't the Legacy brakes do this? Yes the Legacy is less agile and heavier than a WRX, but I think a target of 160-170ft is not unreasonable. Are there any companies that make aftermarket brake kits for the Legacy yet?

123ft from 60-0 A 1/2 million dollar Cararra GT dosent even have that short of a distance from 70-0 (145 ft). I belive these tests were done from 70-0 The Volvo and audi have sticky summer tires. One shot braking distances are dependant SOLELY on tires. You will only stop as fast as your least tractive surface. When the brakes on the LGT are capable of fully arresting the tires to the point of ABS activation on dry ground from over 80mph you are blaming the wrong peice of equipment. The Brakes on the Legacy GT are technically and physycally superior to those on the WRX as far as brake force goes. They are larger, they are thicker, and they are vented all around. Read this thread it will all make sense in the end.... [url]http://www.legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=4282&highlight=brakes[/url]

[quote name='il collaudatore']I was reading that C&D article and noticed that the 60-0mph stopping distances dramatically differed The TSX (192ft) and the Legacy (196ft) had the longest distances. The Audi stopped in 180ft and the Volvo stopped in at 166ft. BUT and this is a very big BUT... the Impreza WRX brakes stops in 123ft. Which proves that Subaru can do brakes. So why can't the Legacy brakes do this? Yes the Legacy is less agile and heavier than a WRX, but I think a target of 160-170ft is not unreasonable. Are there any companies that make aftermarket brake kits for the Legacy yet?[/QUOTE] Don't rely on the Car & Driver test. Edmunds, for example, got a 133-foot distance from 60-0 (same as the WRX test you cite) for the Legacy GT. The 10-foot discrepancy could be something as simple as reaction time or car weight. Car & Driver's 70-0 distance for the WRX was 188 feet. Also regarding the Car & Driver test, the Volvo and Audi had summer rubber. The TSX and Legacy had all-season rubber, which explains a lot of the braking distance differences. In other words, there are lies, damn lies, and statistics. I had a WRX with the 4-pots, stainless lines and fluid. On the same P1/Dunlop 9000 combo, the Legacy GT stops better. Kevin

[quote name='kutch']If brakes feel like that then what about Stainless Steel brake lines and a good set of Hawk or Green Stuff brake pads? Does anyone make slotted rotors for this car yet? kutch[/QUOTE] Not yet, but given the amount of other worthless stuff that is being made for the car, I can't imagine that drilled and/or slotted rotors will be far behind. You should be able to get any brake pad for what you want, once things get up to speed. The OE pad has good bite, low dusting, and excellent stopping ability, everything a street pad needs to be. It's fine if people want something else with more initial bite, or that is track-worthy, etc. Kevin

Archived