LegacyGT.com

new HU installed

j3g

I will provide pics once my AVO facia arrives! My new HU is currently just sitting the cubby hole. They said it shipped last Wednesday, April 4 (Anyone know the usually shipping time?). So following many different guides and using the force I got it all installed. The new HU I chose is a JVC with GPS, 40GB hard drive, 3.5" lcd...blah blah. I may have a problem though. From what I have read on this forum there is not a "speed wire". My stupid GPS system thinks it needs a "speed wire". I had hoped that it would function without it but as of right now it just says "calibrating". So I have owned other GPS units in the past and I know that can calculate speed. The speedometer wire should not required but I fear that it is for this unit. (I also read that the avic-n1/n2 have a similar delima)

Most navigation headunits require a speed sense wire in order for the gps to be operational. I have the Pioneer AVIC-Z1, itz not needed since it has built-in gyro sensors like most AVIC's, but it helps ur vehicle location to be dead-accurate. In 05+ legacy's, the speed sense wire is green/black and is behind the gauge cluster or the ABS control module. I got mine behind the gauge cluster since itz much closer to the radio, 3 philip-head screws r holdin the cluster on the bottom of it, then it just slides out.

(speed sense wire - green and black striped behind gauge cluster)

whoa, whoa, wait a minute. Its your first post! And you already schooled me! Welcome to the forums.

Dang car GPS units! Please take note that the handheld units do great without knowing your cars speed. Its not REQUIRED for the GPS to work with the freaking speed sensor. It should be OPTIONAL. Oh well, poor design.

For my own education. How did you come about this information? If I had to guess I would say a Legacy repair manual.

Lastly, did you install the Z1 in the cubby or radio area? (just curious)

I believe the speed sensor wire is used to smooth out the GPS tracking.. pure gps based tracking is laggy... so the unit uses both the GPS and speed sensor to predict where you are inbetween the GPS updates... I dont think it should be mandatory, but i guess its a good thing.

If the unit has other things, like measuring HP/TQ or 0-60 times ( i believe the pioneers do this), it probably uses the speed sensor also to measure part of that.

I'm an install technician so thats how I get wiring diagrams and vehicle info. My headunit replaces the factory radio's location and I'm reserving my cubby for a 7" screen for my map or dvd mode while my headunit is on the av screen. I just changed my username, but here is my personal setup:

http://www.legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=53450&highlight=custom+double+din

To be clear, most IN-DASH units need the speed sense wire and pretty much all PORTABLE units do not need any wiring at all, just a cigarette lighter outlet. Sorry about the mix-up.

Archived