LegacyGT.com

2007 New York Auto Show

mlrtime

Didn't see a prior thread so I thought I'd start one. I didn't take many pics. Subaru was down stairs again. Nothing special there although they did have the new WRX.

Mitsubishi had the new lancer but no EVO X. Nothing really impressive at the show other than being able to sit in the M5/M6/S6.

Upload any other pics you guys have taken.

http://www.imagehosting.com/out.php/i455302_nycautoshow2007011Small.jpg

http://www.imagehosting.com/out.php/i455301_nycautoshow2007010Small.jpg

http://www.imagehosting.com/out.php/i455303_nycautoshow2007013Small.jpg

Lancer

I went there yesterday and it was interesting. A bit toooooo crowded and a ton of small kids jumping around the M6 made me sad. Then going downstairs to the Subaru area... yeah, poor Impreza. The hatchback isn't too bad, but the sedan just screams Corolla to me. Anyways, not too bad since after sitting in the Porsche Carrera S.. <drool>

Anyways, be nice to my album and all that general etiquette stuff. Yes, lots of the pics are parts shots but I blame the fact that I don't have a wide lens for the 20D. And the fact that my 50/1.8 on a 20D becomes a 80mm and I just needed a fast lens for the day. Anyhoo...

http://picasaweb.google.com/yellowgoo/20D20070408NewYorkInternationalAutoShow

One of the least exciting shows in recent years. I usaually go on the Friday it opens and as epecting less of a crowd on a non-holiday day yesterday. Nope, still screaming brats trying to rip off wiper stalks in every car and people wall to wall.

Subaru booth was meh as usual. WRX hatch looks a bit better in person, but still not great. Found it humorous how the presentation for the Tribecca was basically "we listened to market feedback and made it less ugly on the outside". Video of the rally car had to be from the X-games since speed doesn't televise WRC any longer...grrr.

Bit surprised BMW didn't bring the M3 "concept" since it has been at other shows. The pre-owned 330i was mis-marked as having only the premium package...it actually was one of the ZCP'd sport packages.

Audi A5/S5 looks like a copy of the new BMW 3 series coups, only worse looking. At least the S5 up on the platform had a 6-speed stick

There was just empty space in the middle of the Ford area that usually has a concept car on a turntable. Depressing for someone born in Dearborn, MI.

Volvo has a old car (20s-30s?) on a platform and I swear that the woman was actually describing how in the olden days there was this thing called a "clutch" you needed to use to change gears...yikes!

Thats all I have for now :)

I went yesterday - very small crowd of people. Perfect day to do it. Nothing exciting at the show, and I didn't take many pictures.

I found the Audi TT to be comfortable to sit inside but it kinda bored me. I laughed at some guy who was 6'5"+ trying for 5 minutes to contort himself to fit inside a Saturn Sky - to the point where I actually said outloud "dude I don't think it's gonna work." NY is full of dumb as shit assholes.

Some guy parked his Kia Sedona minivan in front the entrance to the Autoshow and had written on it:

"For sale: One POS Kia. Remember, it's a minivan and all your kids will not fit into the tow truck. The 10 year warranty is garbage and best used as toilet paper."

He and a few other people were standing out there chanting about how bad Kia sucks.

Subaru display:

The Subaru display was very good and yet somehow disappointing. Highlights: the people Subaru hired were some of the few people I spoke to who actually knew what they were talking about - the only other very knowledgeable person I spoke to was a woman from Jeep. I found the front end of the Tribeca to be very good looking in person - why it isn't anything that will wow you, it also will not offend you like the last generation. The Impreza looks so different, it loses the looks that scream Subaru. I found that I still like the looks of the Forester XT Sports (WR Blue). The 2008 Legacy changes are very subtle in person - you really need to look at it to pick out the difference. Grill, rear bumper, interior wood trim are basically the only noticeable differences - yawn. Well, I guess we should be thankful they didn't let the Impreza team have a go at it. :lol:

Mercury/Ford:

The new 2008 Mercury Mariner and Ford Escape really took a huge step backwards (much worse than the Impreza did) The dash trim is god awful, they removed the overhead grips, which help with getting into the vehicle. You could tell everyone who tried to gen in grabbed at the trim and pulled it lose in every one sitting on the floor. The front grill is metallic looking plastic. The only improvement they made were in the seat, they seem to be more comfortable than the previous generation.

I was shocked, then laughed when I say that Mercury put the Sable on a carousel with a glass wall around it so no one could even reach and touch it. You could sit inside a Porsche 911 C2S and the Jaguar XKR, but you can't even touch a Mercury Sable - how stupid is that. I assume that is part of Ford's Bold Moves program.

I took at look at the Lincoln Mark LT pick up truck - the interior looked like it was beat to shit after only 4 days of sitting at the autoshow. The fit and finish was a disaster - there was gaps that I would estimate were 1+ cm on the center console. Awful!!!

Volvo:

I only looked at the C30, and I was extremely impressed by it. The look, the feel, comfortable, and just about everything about it really stuck me as a homerun. If I wanted a small sporty looking hatch, the C30 would hands down be my first choice.

GM:

I ran over to the GMC Sierra 2500 first. It was HUGE!!!!!!!!! I literally had to climb up into the cabin. The front seats were amazingly comfortable - I wouldn't mind sitting on them for 12+ hours - they were that good. The interior was well executed, fit and finish were flawless. The only complaint was the way the tires/wheels looked on the truck. The truck is so massive that the tires/wheels just look too small for it - ruining the look of the truck. Otherwise - if I was looking for a Pick-up - this would be by far my first choice.

Dodge:

I sat in a couple of their pick ups and was throughly disappointed by the cheapness of the interior and how uncomfortable the seats were. I wouldn't want to travel for more than 15 minuting sitting on those seats.

Jeep:

I regret not trying to getting the representatives phone number - she was amazing - she was cute and knew a vast amount of info about the various Jeeps, and we had a great chat about them. Ok, back on topic - I really really liked the Jeep Cherokee SRT-8: The looks are aggressive, yet not flashy enough to grab cops' attention. The interior, while filled with plastics, is good enough and offers enough - although like I talked to the rep, I would probably hold off to the '08 model to get the MyGIG navigation (USB connectivity, MP3 player connectivity, 20GB hard drive, navigation with traffic, Sirus radio). I was extremely impressed with it, and it was my favorite car/truck from the show. The seats were also nice and comfortable.

BMW:

It was cool, but nothing got my raised my heart rate there.

Porsche:

Damn awesome!!!! You could sit in the Cayman S and the Porsche C2S. awesome. I had flashbacks when I sat behind the wheel of the C2S of when I got to test drive it last June. Oh man, why can't just I hit the lotto already?

Saab:

Man oh man - while comfortable inside - they really really need a redesign. The current design is really dated and begging for something fresh and new.

I'll write more later on.

Audi (the worse experience of the day)

I got really turned off to Audi yesterday. The rep I spoke to from Audi was a real snotty bitch, who didn't know much about the product. Between having a distinct attitude, she needed to ask the other rep for help because she was unable to answer any of my questions. Sadly, the other rep was also unable to answer my questions.

All I got from the Audi reps was this attitude like I was a simple poor peasant trying to talk to the rich elite. This is the third time I've received this kind of attitude from folks who work for Audi. At this point, they can vasoline that TT and insert it up their collective asses.

Didn't see a prior thread so I thought I'd start one. I didn't take many pics. Subaru was down stairs again. Nothing special there although they did have the new WRX.

Mitsubishi had the new lancer but no EVO X. Nothing really impressive at the show other than being able to sit in the M5/M6/S6.

Upload any other pics you guys have taken.

http://www.imagehosting.com/out.php/i455302_nycautoshow2007011Small.jpg

http://www.imagehosting.com/out.php/i455301_nycautoshow2007010Small.jpg

http://www.imagehosting.com/out.php/i455303_nycautoshow2007013Small.jpg

Lancer

That WRX grill is sad :( looks more like its a Ford or Chevy than a Subaru. On the other hand the Lancer looks hawt!

Archived