LegacyGT.com

SPT Power Pack review

kjizza

I posted this in a thread on the PNW board a couple weeks ago. Figured I'd repost it here for anyone who had any questions about the SPT exhaust/intake. I don't know as much about tuning or other brands as a lot of you so feel free to add whatever as it'll help people make their decision on what to buy.

Well it seems like Subaru always talks up their horsepower, but it does feel like there's maybe a 25 horsepower gain. I also don't have the heatshield so maybe that's where the extra 5 horsepower comes from.

As far as me recommending it, it depends what you like. The intake I've heard is difficult to tune with (something about the O2 sensor being in a crappy spot with where the bend is) and Cobb claims it doesn't actually change the performance at all over the stock airbox. But on the plus side, it looks totally bad-ass under the hood, it makes your engine sound a lot more growly, it takes the silencer off of the airbox so you can hear the blow off valve which sounds awesome without making the car seem like you're trying to rice it out, and with it being SPT you get to keep your warranty. If you want to get really hardcore into tuning your car and using aftermarket performance parts, or you want to keep from hearing your engine at all in the cabin, then I wouldn't recommend it, you'd probably be better off getting a cold air intake or even just the drop in K&N filter. If you want to spend like $200 (pocket change compared to most car parts) to make your car cooler while still keeping the warranty, then do it.

Now the exhaust is where I noticed the power gains. The turbo spools up noticeably faster (I have a 5EAT so that's a big issue for me), and the car seems to pull harder and faster a lot earlier. 2nd gear feels a lot better. I haven't taken it up to it's speed limiter since before I put the exhaust on so I haven't really gotten to feel what it's like stomping on it in the high gears now. The sound is great. Not annoying in the cabin at all, a little more rumble is all. Outside the cabin it totally makes the whole car seem way more bad-ass with the low growly rumble that turns into a roar when you get on it, and the big chrome tips look really aggressive and way bigger than stock, but still look like they fit the car really nicely. I haven't seen any downside to getting the exhaust since it looks and sounds awesome, performs better, and the look seems to fit the car better than some of the other brands. If you want to get REALLY serious about tuning, then you might want to get the Autospeed exhaust with the catless downpipe, but even if you're serious about it, the SPT is awesome and you should still consider it. Most importantly you get to keep the warranty, so that alone should be a big deciding factor if you're not going too crazy with aftermarket parts. If an extra $250 over a different brand is worth it to you to keep your warranty, then DEFINITELY get the SPT.

Another thing is resale value. Aftermarket parts almost always hurt the resale value, but the SPT stuff almost seems like kind of more of a "factory upgrade". I'm not 100% sure about that, but I think the fact that it's Subaru would make it so it wouldn't hurt resale at all. But of course it would be better to pull everything off and sell it separately since you'd get more money.

So to answer your question of if I recommend it: If you want to keep your warranty then get it. Otherwise save your money and get a different brand that might give you a little bit more punch. But just remember that if you have a 5EAT Legacy GT, that your transmission costs like $6000 to replace. I'll post pictures when I get around to not leaving my camera down in my car.

Has anybody dyno'd a GT with just the powerpack system (including heat shield) to validate Subaru's claims that the system adds an add’l 30hp/30tq?

Thanks Kjizza for the excellent write-up. It helped convince me to buy the powerpack system. I should have the system installed this week. Can't wait.

Yeah I haven't seen anyone verify Subaru's 30+ claims with a dyno. I would, but I'm friggin' broke. So if anyone REALLY wants to know, I'd be happy to dyno if someone wants to pay for it. I have the SPT intake/exhaust, and I know someone who would probably let me borrow their heatshield.

Also, for anyone in WA. I can install your powerpack for $60 if you bring it over. ($200+ cheaper than the dealership, hahaha)

• 2 weeks later...

I had my local dealership install the Powerpack system, including the heat shield for $1,200 + tax. I did not notice any power gains in 1st and 2nd, but a huge difference in 3rd and a little in 4th and 5th.

The exhaust system is top notch and looks great. I like the exhaust note, but would have preferred to be a little louder. The exhaust does not drone at highway speeds. I was annoyed at first regarding the whooshing sound from the intake system, but have got used to it.

To sum it up, I highly recommend the system for somebody like me looking for some sound and a little more power, but does not want to get into reflashing and voiding warranties.

I wanted to thank everyone who helped me decide to buy the system.

Archived