LegacyGT.com

Roady2 or SkiFi2

Boosted

Not sure about how they install. I just picked up a roady2 and I love it. The SkyFi2 isn't available yet (I think), but I would have picked that up for sure. The ability to rewind a radio stream 30 minutes back would make it worthwhile for me. The built-in tuner doesn't hurt either. Once I decide on where to mount mine, I'll post pics.

[quote name='Helfrick']Not sure about how they install. I just picked up a roady2 and I love it. The SkyFi2 isn't available yet (I think), but I would have picked that up for sure. The ability to rewind a radio stream 30 minutes back would make it worthwhile for me. The built-in tuner doesn't hurt either. Once I decide on where to mount mine, I'll post pics.[/QUOTE] Helfrick, The SkyFi2 is now available. They have them at Best Buy and I was looking at them today.

I've been looking at the Terk Commander, it will fit(with alittle trimming of the plastic holder) behind the door. Where are you guys looking at installing the antenna? (have spoiler on an 05), that's the part that's hindering me going out and buying one today to be honest--finding an antenna mount point that will not totally fubar the asthetics, and allow good reception. I have all of maybe 10 inches between my spoiler and my rear windshield Also, really does anyone have a preference on either Sirius or XM ?? I know Sirius has all the NFL games, and Stern, but which overall has the better music/talk programming? I'm nto a Nascar fan so that doesn't sell XM to me, however, being only able to mount the XM behind the door might.... I refuse to mount any of the recievers on the dash like some old school ugly carphone adapter, but am not opposed to taking the door off the console storage to fit a unit there, and ideas/comments/opinions? love to hear them as i have a trip coming up this weekend and want to get this installed and done by then...

Well, I have XM and have for over a year (used in my WRX) but since I do not have Sirius, I can't compare the two. I will tell you though that I LOVE my XM. Lots of choices, including traffic, weather, ACC and PAC 10 football, and MLB in the spring. I mostly listen to news channels, jazz and X-Country. Sound quality is simply outstanding. I used my unit in the car, at home (2 homes actually), and in my boat. My wife used the unit in her car as well. When I have forgotten to take it out of my wife's car for my long drive to work, I have really missed it. I NEVER listen to AM or FM. It's great to be able to listen to the Larry King show in the car! When I bought the LGT, I bought a second XM radio (the XM Commander...because I didn't want to install the other unit on the dash, the only place it would fit). The XM Commander fits perfectly in the cubby in the center stack just below the dash (and it is hidden when you want it to be). Costs me an extra $6.95/month, but my wife is thrilled since she has the other radio all the time now. Bottom line - we LOVE XM. PM me if you have any other specific questions.

05 SWP Legacy GT Limited (aka "Pearl")- 5MT AP - Stage 2 Protuned (238/284) - wife driven

07 BMW 335xi

well i went out and got the XM commader from Terk tearing apart the center console was a snap, took me 8 minutes. ala problem, it uses a wired fm modulator, and of course, our antenna isn't a standard antenna cable, soooo, i have to set it NEXT to it, but it doesn't sound the greatest. I left a msg with them that i was looking for a different adapter. Reason for choice, the MX commander from Terk fits IN the cubby, with only minor adjusting(read cutting) of the plastic mounting bracket, and the door shuts over it. Now just need to mount the main box for it somewhere, and if i can get that antenna adapter, gtg

well, the hitch it the antenna. I thought it was a Volvo S-80 antenna adapter, but it's not. It is a different shape on the in the plug, but inside and out. Those of you that are EEs will cringe at this, but the soln devised is to tap solder the core and shield of the RF modulator antenna to the radio. It will affect the antenna resistance, changing the antenna's reception quality, but we'll see how much it actually will vary it. Using side splices to bridge on to the power wires back on the radio harness. Had to take a break to solder on the harness...

Well done with the install, pics will follow after my trip this weekend(was rush for getting it installed) Soldering the antenna connectors on the antenna solder joints on the PCB on the radio actually significantly improved. no more static on any of the stations i occansionally listen to, guess it's due to the extra 20 ft of "antenna" that i've added. Need to make a plexiglass holder for the bracket, as it's about 1/2 inch too small width wise. Will let you know how things sound on the trip to NC this weekend!

Another XM Fan here. The *only* thing I miss on my recently traded -in 2002 OB was the dynamite Aux-in XM setup. My husband surprised me at the airport (after a long business trip) the other night with my new '05 Legacy GT 5MT LTD wagon (2 weeks early!). :D So, less than 24 hours later I stopped at Circuit City to pick up the new SkyFi2 (good deal at $99). It has a much improved wireless FM modulator built-in and although it is a kludge as compared with a wired approach, it works suprisingly well. If I had the guts to follow Craig's lead I would go with the wired FM approach, but I'm not ready to touch that lovely dashboard... Maybe something decent via aftermarket will become available. Sure love the car, though! Jil

Wanted to put it in the cubby, but routing power and antenna without drilling or cutting (leased car) looked difficult if not impossible. I could have run the wires out the front but I need my lighter for the radar detector (until I find a way to hardwire the V1). Instead, I have it sitting in front of the armrest on top of the slider that covers the cup holders. the antenna wire and the power run to the accesssory outlet in the armrest and it all looks very clean. I do not change the station frequently so looking down and to the right at the screen is minimized. Although it is clean, it does involve taking eyes off the road. I only have to have the slider open a little as well, so the front cupholder still works just fine. If I want to use the second cupholder, I can pop the roady2 into the armrest cubby temporarily. Reception and quality is very good so far. The XM install and remote starter install really round out the missing features in this car for me. (By the way, a remote car starter is no picnic to install in a manual car.)

Archived