LegacyGT.com

Ticket for tints - NYC

laz

Today as I was entering the Midtown tunnel I got stopped for my tints. They measured my tint and gave me a $60 ticket for it.

I read on different websites and it says that legal tint on front windows in NYC is 70%. The cop wrote 70% tints on the ticket.

Anyone else know anything about this? Is 70% legal or what?

Oh yeah, ny morning commute sucked. I usually do not drive into work, but I had to today, and my normal route over teh BQE was completely backed due to an accident. So I was late, with a ticket.

Thanks,

X

---

So by more than it mean that 70% is not cool?

So much BS!

I think I'll just end up paying it and not waste more time.

Thing is that I had tint on all my cars for more than 10 years, and this is the first ticket I have gotten! I should play the lotto today or something! :spin::rolleyes::redface:

X

---

not sure what you mean.

If you get stopped enough times for having tinted windows and don't fix them, believe me it will have reprecussions to one's license status.

It means that if a car has out of state plates then NY Cops can't enforce other states laws, even if they are equal to NYS. A fixit ticket is not like a speeding ticket in that you are breaking a law in NYS. Your car can be legal in a different state with tints.

I need to have a special James Bond plate holder that can change plates on the fly! This is my forst tint ticket, and I think I am good for another 10 years!

X

---

when i was younger and used to cruise the popular strips i actually had a cop detain me and hold my license til i peeled off my front tints with my fingernails on the side of the road

Nice! That is what I call a PUNK!!!

The ticket says that in order to dismiss it an authorized work form needs to be mailed with the ticket. Also it needs to be dated no more than one day after the ticket was issued.

I got another ticket for a bown lightbulb and I just showed a receipt and got it dismissed.

X

---

Heights & I have had this discussion before.

To me, 70% light means 30% tint. Heights believes it's the opposite.

I'm sure I'm due for one of these tickets soon enough. I've got 20% all around.

"Barack Obama, mothaf#%@a! Barack Obama! I'm the president...of hittin' the ass!" -this is not a political view it's merely a quote from a hilarious tv show.

Heights & I have had this discussion before.

To me, 70% light means 30% tint. Heights believes it's the opposite.

I'm sure I'm due for one of these tickets soon enough. I've got 20% all around.

thats what I thought at first as well, but every other state it is listed at (ex.) 35% where-as NY is listed at 70%. Leads me to believe that 70% is the darkest you can go (which is no where near dark)

• 2 weeks later...

NY law states 75% (factory) of light transmission thru front windows...you can go limo in the back windows as long as you have two outside mirrors.....no tint is legal on front windshield at all...

I have 20% all around and wouldnt do it any other way.....I also have a doctor's note for tint (tint prescription basically) and that gets me out of ALL tickets

but then again, I'm almost as white as a ghost and I sun burn very easily which would make up my reasoning for tint (that and I don't want ppl seeing what I do in my car when I'm in it) lol...

NY law states 75% (factory) of light transmission thru front windows...you can go limo in the back windows as long as you have two outside mirrors.....no tint is legal on front windshield at all...

I have 20% all around and wouldnt do it any other way.....I also have a doctor's note for tint (tint prescription basically) and that gets me out of ALL tickets

but then again, I'm almost as white as a ghost and I sun burn very easily which would make up my reasoning for tint (that and I don't want ppl seeing what I do in my car when I'm in it) lol...

In NYS you actually get your registration changed via a form. You also don't have to have the doctor's note for yourself, you can have it for "someone who regularly rides in your car"

-mike

Here is section of the NYS tint law....

Chapter 775, Title III, Article 9, Section 375, Subdivision 12-16

(b) No person shall operate any motor vehicle upon any public highway, road or street:

(1) the front windshield of which is composed of, covered by or treated with any material which has a light transmittance of less than seventy percent unless such materials are limited to the uppermost six

inches of the windshield; or

(2) the sidewings or side windows of which on either side forward of or adjacent to the operator's seat are composed of, covered by or treated with any material which has a light transmittance of less than seventy percent; or

(3) if it is classified as a station wagon, sedan, hardtop, coupe, hatchback or convertible and any rear side window has a light

transmittance of less than seventy percent; or

(4) the rear window of which is composed of, covered by or treated with any material which has a light transmittance of less than seventy percent. A rear window may have a light transmittance of less than

seventy percent if the vehicle is equipped with side mirrors on both sides of the vehicle so adjusted that the driver thereof shall have a clear and full view of the road and condition of traffic behind such

vehicle.

"Remember..."MODDING is a HOBBY:icon_bigg, not a BAAAD HABIT";) .

don't tell Coxx, he doesnt actually believe that this is really a law. :lol:

I still say you guys got it backwards but whatever, I don't care what the law is

"Barack Obama, mothaf#%@a! Barack Obama! I'm the president...of hittin' the ass!" -this is not a political view it's merely a quote from a hilarious tv show.

Archived