LegacyGT.com

Problem w/CD Changer

resipsa99

I put one CD in the changer and played it for a while. The next day I tried to eject it, and it would not eject. Every time I start the car now, I can hear the mechanism in the changer clicking around, but nothing happens (this happens even if the power to the stereo is off). When I press the load button to attempt to load another CD, the display goes blank for a second or two and then returns to the radio. Can anyone think of anything I should try before taking it to the shop?

This happened in my WRX, it was pretty common in them (search on NASIOC). They had to order a new head unit for me. Supposedly they are supposed to send the CD's back to you in the mail, but mine never came. I think mine died b/c my wife put a CD with a homemade label in there. This is a bad idea, b/c it gets too hot and the labels come off fouling up the mechanism.

[quote name='boris']This happened in my WRX, it was pretty common in them (search on NASIOC). They had to order a new head unit for me. Supposedly they are supposed to send the CD's back to you in the mail, but mine never came. I think mine died b/c my wife put a CD with a homemade label in there. This is a bad idea, b/c it gets too hot and the labels come off fouling up the mechanism.[/QUOTE] What a coincidence. The CD that is stuck (and won't play) has a homemade label, and my wife is the one who inserted it. The stuck CD is "best of" ABBA, so I really don't care if I get it back. We went to see the play "Mama Mia," and my wife would not stop listening to "Take a Chance on Me." Was the repair covered under your warranty?

In my last car i had a sony deck that i used a labled cd once because this musican wanted some head shots taken for promptions and wanted to me to hear his cd. his cd sucked big time and it got stuck in the radio slightly out so i pulled off the face, grabed the cd with the very itp of my finger, it ejected the rest of the way then, cd shatters on the Saw Milll River Parkway. his contact info was on the cd so i didnt do his head shots :D

yes, parts and labor fully covered under warranty. I never mentioned the part about the label to them, and they never said anything. It required a trip to the dealer for them to "diagnose" that it was broken, and then another trip back once the part had come in so they could replace the head unit. I'm not sure how this works on our Legacy/OB, with the integrated stereo. one other thing you could try, if you press and hold the eject button, this should trigger the "eject all" mode (at least it did on WRX), and you may get lucky as it cycles through the eject, doubt it though if the label is off. good luck.

Archived