LegacyGT.com

Wiring Questions for New Headunits and OEM ones

SpawnGT

as you guys may have seen i install a motorized screen in my cubby and kept the door and it was all sucessful. http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=33360&page=3

Well im swapping out the headunit for one that has IPOD connection and a DVD player built in. This pyle half din has served its purpose the entire time ive had it and ive loved it though.

This new unit has some special i think DOLBY DIGITAL 5.1 speak system set up, as well as a AM FM radio built in.

What should i do...i like having the stock unit, i use it now for playing CD's and when i have an ipod song or playlist to play i turn the unit on, and press CD 6(blank disk from jazzy mod) and i got amazing ipod music goign through my car. Id love having a touchscreen selection of the FM and Am stations im going to be listening to as well as ID3 tags from the radio stations. so here in lies questions 1. Can i splice the FM radio signal/Am signal radio wire that goes to the stock 6disc changer and wire/solder it to the radio feed wire of my new headunit?

Id like it if i could in a nutshell connect the new headunit to disc 6 via jazzy and hook up the radio to the in dash and then pick the radio station on the new headunit and have it just play through the stock system..is this plausible and possible?

2. the system i bought has a built in 200w speaker amplifier in it...should i wire the cars speakers to the new headunit making it the main stereo and use the OEM 6disc changer as stricly a disc changer for the new headunit? and then in essense id have to flip the jazzy 180degrees so that it became an output of the CD ribbon and not an input onto the CD ribbon.

3. its slipped my mind where the parking break wire goes so that you can watch DVD's while driving....if i remmeber right you have to just permantly ground it to the body of the car...is that right?

It sounds like your new head unit has lots of neat new features. I recommend making it the primary system -- connect the car's antenna and speakers directly to it.

If you want to keep using the factory HU's CD changer, connect the factory HU into an Aux input on the new HU (the new one does have that, right?).

While it might be possible to reverse Jazzy's board like you described (you would need to ask Jazzy), it would be much simpler and better to just get a Line Out Converter (LOC) and use that to convert the front or rear speaker outputs from the factory HU to line level, and connect that into your new HU. See my homepage for links to more info that may be helpful.

Can i splice the FM radio signal/AM signal radio wire that goes to the stock 6disc changer and wire/solder it to the radio feed wire of my new headunit?

Do you mean the antenna wire? That's easy. Just get an antenna adapter cable like this...

SU-6.jpg.069a5c32f25320a5ae70d723e47902ae.jpg

Three different companies make them now, so if you search you should be able to find one fairly inexpensively (less than $10 shipped).

its slipped my mind where the parking break wire goes so that you can watch DVD's while driving....if i remmeber right you have to just permantly ground it to the body of the car...is that right?
That will depend on the HU. Do you not have the manual? If not, most of the manufacturers allow you to download a copy from their web site. What model is it?

Archived