LegacyGT.com

LCA Bushings, Yours are probably BAD

SeeeeeYa

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Yes, but be advised that the official Subaru stance is that not all bushings that exhibit this condition need to be replaced. I'd say it depends on the actual condition of the bushes and how strict the dealer service department is about warranty coverage.

I read that some time ago and somewhat agree with it. I have looked at mine pretty closely and they don't appear to be getting any worse or being anywhere near a failure.

I don't plan on changing mine out right now.... but I still think it's a bad design. Subaru should've designed it so it could sweep the full suspension stroke without cracking.

I read that some time ago and somewhat agree with it. I have looked at mine pretty closely and they don't appear to be getting any worse or being anywhere near a failure.

I don't plan on changing mine out right now.... but I still think it's a bad design. Subaru should've designed it so it could sweep the full suspension stroke without cracking.

+1

I can also tell you from my experience that my brake shimmy magically disappeared after my bushings were installed. I still have a set sitting in my garage ready to go on but don't need them yet. I had the rotors resurfaced twice under warranty and thought maybe the stockers were crap but now looks like the LCA bushings had something to do with it.

I read what Subaru says in the bulletin but I don't believe it.

UPDATE:

If I had known the difference these SuperPro bushings would make back when the car was new, it would have been the first thing I did. The difference is that great.

My first suspension change was the JDM 20mm RSB and poly bushings for it and the stock front bar. They made a noticeable and predictable improvement. Next came the Tein coilovers, whose difference transformed the car. Autoxing became more fun. The Hawk HPS pads came after The Tail of The Dragon illustrated my braking deficiencies. Pirelli PZero Nero M+S took care of my tire issues.

But out on the road away from the cones, interstates and two lanes alike, those other refinements came to highlight what was left to criticise. Yet it was hard to actually put a finger on it. But after a week of going everywhere with these SuperPros I now know it was the LCA rear bushings. Amazing, every remaining ill rolled into one cure.

I have always enjoyed driving, but the better the tool the better the drive. In years past only one machine came close. But the way this Legacy responds now is in a league above my experience. It is a joy, a hawk in the midst of Sparrows.

What's next :)

UPDATE:

What's next :)

Perhaps a real driving machine; a BMW 335i ;):lol:

Glad that the LCAs were such a noticeable improvement. My stock bushings were torn pretty good, and I do feel the difference with the new OEM ones installed, but the worn OEM suspension negates most of the performance/feel gain. Once the Tein stuff is on, I am sure I'll appreciate the car even more. :cool:

Perhaps a real driving machine; a BMW 335i ;):lol:

Very funny :) But it got me to Google thinking and I came up with:

Vehicle Tested:

2007 BMW 3 Series 335i 2dr Coupe (3.0L 6cyl Turbo 6M)

MSRP of Test Vehicle: $49,195 Price It!!

And I thought to myself, "I bet with HALF the difference I could bury one..."

Then I read further...

More than half fast

Consider the facts: This 2007 BMW 335i test car blazed from zero to 60 in 4.8 seconds. BMW says the new coupe mit twin-turbo engine and Steptronic six-speed autobox should make that trip in 5.5 seconds. Seven-tenths of a second quicker? That's 13-percent better than BMW's claim. Folks give aftermarket tuners wads of cash for that kind of performance bump, especially when a car starts out in the mid 5s to begin with.

Hmmmmm. In this morning's logging, testing the latest of my fledgling StreetTUNER maps for my meth, I looked at the first three runs for some comparison data.

Minding the good advice of knowledgeable 5EAT owners (wukindada, e.g.) I keep my 0-60 runs conservative, reving no longer to 3500 for the blistering times I did a few months ago, but to only 2500.

This morning's time? 0-60 in 4.80sec. Blazing? I've done, and can do, better, anyday.

And looking at another 3rd gear pull showed....50-80 in 3.80, and 60-80 in 2.70.

Fledgling, meaning I have not even gotten to refining my fuel map, have yet to even touch my timing, and am only now becoming somewhat happy with my boost curve.

Like I said, a joy. But I can assure you it will be better and faster. And, as far as I am concerned, it will take big cajones for the 335i driver to better my car in the curves, not just its "blazing" speed and righteous handling, for at the limits that would entail all bets are on skill and not car.

A long way from $50 big ones, and, all I have is a measley ol VF40 :)

not pretty enough to make ANY man go gay :p:spin:

You're probably right, but you do have a pretty mouth. ;)

Seeeeeya, OT, but what Teins do you have? Basic or next level (EFDC compatible). How's the ride on bumpy roads. A buddy with an STi and Basics put the stock suspension back on up here in northern Indiana after his infant was constantly awakened in the baby seat. Rough ride?

Seeeeeya, OT, but what Teins do you have? Basic or next level (EFDC compatible). How's the ride on bumpy roads. A buddy with an STi and Basics put the stock suspension back on up here in northern Indiana after his infant was constantly awakened in the baby seat. Rough ride?

Basics. And I can understand anyone with an infant not wanting them. I preferred the ride of the stock suspension, but on these WV roads it could get downright tense. Then when I started autocrossing it that sealed it. Between the RSB and the Teins my car was mine to control, not the roads. But you can almost tell if you run over a dime or a nickle. :)

With the addition of these bushings I am still amazed at what has been added to that feeling of control. Like I said, the WV roads are ALL curves, often with zero room for error. Add in the autocrossing and it is no wonder the LCA bushings got trashed. It just seems illogical that a single bushing would account for so much. But it does.

In the beginning I had my Teins really low, what a great thing on the track. But brutal on the street so I raised them incrementally until I had the compromise I wanted. I guess that was the number one deciding factor when I chose coilovers over springs and struts, being able to adjust them to whatever I wanted.

As time goes on behind the wheel I find I am less tense, released from the constant vigil the bad bushings made necessary. It goes exactly where you point it and doesn't vary. There is a sharp, by interstate standards, and long curve near here that I tried forever to find the line on. If you ride motorcycles you understand that every single apex curve really should have one steering input. On that interstate curve I always seemed to either go wide, drift inside, or something, depending on the speed or speeds inside the curve. Now one input and the car, like it on a rail, tracks the center of its lane.

I still think anyone with a NEW car could tell the difference, not just older ones. The stock bushing by design flexes, meaning it allows driving forces to subtly adjust castor, wheel to wheel, necessarily introducing vagueness for the sake of reduced NVH. The SuperPros eliminate that.

Basics. And I can understand anyone with an infant not wanting them. I preferred the ride of the stock suspension, but on these WV roads it could get downright tense. Then when I started autocrossing it that sealed it. Between the RSB and the Teins my car was mine to control, not the roads. But you can almost tell if you run over a dime or a nickle. :)

With the addition of these bushings I am still amazed at what has been added to that feeling of control. Like I said, the WV roads are ALL curves, often with zero room for error. Add in the autocrossing and it is no wonder the LCA bushings got trashed. It just seems illogical that a single bushing would account for so much. But it does.

In the beginning I had my Teins really low, what a great thing on the track. But brutal on the street so I raised them incrementally until I had the compromise I wanted. I guess that was the number one deciding factor when I chose coilovers over springs and struts, being able to adjust them to whatever I wanted.

As time goes on behind the wheel I find I am less tense, released from the constant vigil the bad bushings made necessary. It goes exactly where you point it and doesn't vary. There is a sharp, by interstate standards, and long curve near here that I tried forever to find the line on. If you ride motorcycles you understand that every single apex curve really should have one steering input. On that interstate curve I always seemed to either go wide, drift inside, or something, depending on the speed or speeds inside the curve. Now one input and the car, like it on a rail, tracks the center of its lane.

I still think anyone with a NEW car could tell the difference, not just older ones. The stock bushing by design flexes, meaning it allows driving forces to subtly adjust castor, wheel to wheel, necessarily introducing vagueness for the sake of reduced NVH. The SuperPros eliminate that.

Thanks for the input. I wish I had twisty roads. Northern Indiana is farm country. Every GD road is straight and ends at a GD stopsign at 90 degree corner with a frigging stop sign. ARRRRGGGGHHHHH! I miss the northeast for roads (but not work and lifestyle).

I'm looking for a suspension that is mild on northern, frost heaved roads yet decent for autox and occasional trackdays. Since it the family shaggin' wagon, heavy emphasis is on the daily driver aspect.

Archived