LegacyGT.com

Front license plate bracket?

http://www.bellautomotive.com/userdocs/uploads/7_46230.JPGI don't have pics of how I made it, but I'll be taking it off the car soon anyway when it goes into the shop, so I'll show the disasembled unit...

basically it involves two of the Bell brackets pictured above, and I extended the arms using a piece of angled steel I had in the basement.

It looks like Subaru sells a bracket for ~$20 but I don't want to pay for one if I can just ask the dealer for the bracket they were originally were supposed to put on.

I just bought another Legacy today. Dealers do not give you the plate mount, it's an accessory, but I ordered one (yep, this dealer doesn't even have them in stock, and I hardly ever see them on cars around here).

They had to get my car from another dealer and the bumper already had holes for the stupid dealer's name front plate. Bunch of savages in this town. I was hoping it would be untouched because I figure the fewer self-tapping screws put into the plastic the better it will hold.

I already have the plate mount on our other Legacy. I think the front plate mount is worth it, but it's not the best thing I've ever seen. Specifically, the screws that hold the tag to the mount stick out the back far enough to hit the bumper if the plate is disturbed at all, and the screw heads are kind of small compared to license plate screw holes. I got some #10 neoprene-backed galvanized sealing washers from Home Depot to put under the screw heads, and stainless #10 washers to go between the plate and the mount (to prevent the heads of the screws holing the mount to the bumper from denting the plate; yeah Subaru thought of everything here), so now the screws don't stick out the back of the plastic bits they thread into, which look a lot less likely to poke holes in the bumper (could have also filed the screws shorter, but as I said the heads were too small anyway). Not perfect, but personally I think it looks at least $20 better than just screwing the plate to the bumper.

I drove a Miata in California for a couple of years without a front tag (and the PO drove it since new that way, total of 7 years) with no problems, but I think the police in VA care more.

Another recommendation is to use stainless steel screws for whatever setup you decide. Even if you use tape the front, you can still use the SS screws for the back.

As the salesman at the dealership stated: "Selling a Subaru is the easy part. Removing your old license plate it the hard part!" The SS fixes the rusting problem, and they are inexpensive.

I cant believe you guys are concerned about 2 little holes in your front bumper.. plus if you have to have a license plate on the front.. who cares? There is going to be a license plate there.

I know on the 05 and 06 you dont have to drill anything.. the dealer has screws made just for that front license plate, there are 2 little dimples on your front bumper already that mark the spot of where you put your license plate screws in. You just take the self tapping screws and they screw right in..

I cant believe you guys are concerned about 2 little holes in your front bumper.. plus if you have to have a license plate on the front.. who cares? There is going to be a license plate there.

I know on the 05 and 06 you dont have to drill anything.. the dealer has screws made just for that front license plate, there are 2 little dimples on your front bumper already that mark the spot of where you put your license plate screws in. You just take the self tapping screws and they screw right in..

Same with the '07's...

I think the problem is some people don't want the license plate there because the car looks better without it. If you aren't gonna have a plate there, then you WILL see the holes. It just gives a cleaner look if you are plateless. I personally run a plate because I work on a military base but IMHO, I'd rather not if I could get away with it.

For the guys with screwholes but no plates, you can get plugs from Home Depot and paint them to match your car. My Evo buddy did it and it looks great. Just a thought.

Archived