LegacyGT.com

How do I know if I really got the upgraded alarm?

sde

i got a non horn beep when the door locks it is the horn when i hit the panic button, the best way to tell is if the car locks on its own, ididnt get the upgrade, and i have left it unlocked over night at my friends house, next time you get out of the car dont lock it and wait like a min, to see if it locks on its own.

when they tried to sell me that they told me that you dont have to push the button for the alarm to be active so i guess not. when you go in for service ask tell them and ask them to check it out, and if its not in there raise hell till they put it in and try to get some free stuff (like those maintnance cupons)

[url="http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=rtfm"][size=3][color=red][b][u]RTFM[/u][/b][/color][/size][/url] [size=1]p. 2-27:[/size] [size=1][b]Passive arming[/b][/size] [size=1]When passive arming mode has been programmed by the dealer, arming of the system is automatically accomplished without using the remote transmitter. Note that in this mode, DOORS MUST BE MANUALLY LOCKED.[/size] [size=1]If you wish to program the passive arming mode, have it done by your SUBARU dealer.[/size] [size=1][b]CAUTION: [/b]In passive mode, the system will automatically activate the alarm but WILL NOT automatically lock the doors.[/size] [size=1]p. 2-29:[/size] [size=1][b]Shock sensors[/b][/size] [size=1]If you desire, your SUBARU dealer can connect them and set them for activation or deactivation.[/size]

[i]It looks like Jimbo and I were posting at the same time.[/i] I think you both are mis-informed by your dealer. :( These are separate things. The upgraded alarm is simply an additional shock sensor. Rocking the car won't trigger it. To test it, open the hood, lock the car, wait for 30 seconds for the alarm to arm, then let the hood drop from 1 foot above. The shock sensor is mounted to the bottom of the passenger seat. The auto-arm feature can be turned on by the dealer, but it appears that the cars come from the factory with that feature disabled. The car really needs a pin-switch for the hood to finish off the basic, but adequate, alarm system! I'd like to add that, as well as a doppler radar intrusion sensor, to mine one of these days soon.

Read the tech info... how they test the alarm function / sensitivity is : 1) Remove the key from ignition switch. 2) Close all the windows. 3) Close all the doors, trunk lid and rear gate. Leave open the front hood. 4) Press the LOCK button of transmitter from outside of vehicle. 5) Check that the security indicator light blinks twice within 0.5 seconds in 2 seconds cycle after 30 seconds. 6) Hit the windshield with your palm continuously and check the security alarm operates. Lift up the front hood approx. 12 cm (4.7 in), and then drop it off to check the operation of security alarm. 7) If NG, adjust the impact sensitivity.

thanks guys .. i appreciate it .. i've only had the car a day and i've been driving so haven't had time to read that manual yet =) .. just wanting to make sure everything about the deal is kosher before i really get into it. thanks a lot for the replies and the information!

I've heard two different things on this issue. The manual states (from what I remember) that the locks will NOT lock automatically with the alarm in "active" mode. It states that the alarm will arm by itself after a delay, but that you still need to lock the doors. I've heard a few people refer to the car locking itself after a delay. Is that specific to Limited editions or Outback models? I think it would be a nice feature on all of them personally.

Archived