LegacyGT.com

Recommended wheel refinish shop in south bay?

MDork

two of my superleggeras have very small bends in the outer lip. i was rammed into a crater-sized pothole by a d-bag in a lifted truck. wheels are holding air fine and there are no vibrations. im guessing the bend could be pressed out. one of said wheels also has some minor curbage from the wife. i was thinking of selling the heidfeld meshers i just picked up and straightening/refinishing the leggeras a nice chrome shadow. that said, id have to dismount the tires on the leggeras, have em fixed up, then dismount the new tires of the heidfelds and mount those on the leggeras. i had heard good things about wheel techniques from my m coupe days but im guessing there are other shops out there that would do a good job and might be less expensive. if not...ill have to rethink my strategy and my brain already hurts.

Their mount and balance cost is very low...like 12 bucks I think...so in the grand scheme of things its not that bad.

Getting your wheel refinished cost 1/2 of the price of the new wheel...so unless you can find cheaper used wheels that are in decent condition, it probably is the cheapest way to go.

I have used them to refinish wheels before, so I know they do a good job. And since you are painting the wheels, result will be like-new from factory. Only thing I would caution is having them work on wheels with polished surface. From factory, polished surface wheels have an anodized clear coat on it (like lip). While wheel technique will fix all curb rashes and repolish all surface to a mirror shine, they don't coat it, so it is bare metal. Which will tarnish pretty quickly without sealing it with something. They neglect to tell me that fact or offer service to re-anodize it, so I wasn't too happy at a later time...just passing on the info in case you plan to bring non-painted wheels to places to get re-done.

thanks for the info. i'd be going painted-painted. i think i may explore pressing out the bends without refinishing. or maybe ill just ignore the bends for a while longer...who knows. they quoted $10 to dismount which is pretty cheap. If mount/balance is only $12 thats a great deal too. I suppose I should bring em in and get a better quote. anyone else know of other shops? maybe they have the monopoly?

I had P-1's that had curb damage when i bought them, and the finish was fading (famous anthricite problem I found). I talked with Wheel Tech and they wanted about $400 to do the whole show, repainting them all. Orginal quote was $500, but I talked them down form that.This was more than I wanted to spend. So, I called around and found the cheapest place to dismount the tires. I then did my own refinish work, and sanded out the scratches. A friend knew of a powder coating shop out in Santa Cruz that does good work at decent prices. I had them media blast and powder coat the wheels for about $250-270ish total. Now they are color matched to my car, and it was all done for less than WT wanted.

Archived