LegacyGT.com

Anybody not like mirror with compass?

I'm convinced that the people who experience it slow drive in well lighted city or suburbs and the ones that experience it fast drive in areas where there aren't a whole lot of street lights.

Am I right?

A mix of both. If there's only one pair of headlights behind me, then it responds okay. When there's several (for instance all of I-95 from Richmond to DC) pairs of headlights it's very slow, even when there's no street lights (effectively making the other cars street lights - I know... same concept).

In other words, it's impossible to have a perfect auto-dimming mirror and I understand that. This is why I don't like auto-dimming mirrors.

I don't like auto-anything, now that I think about it.

I drive in a pretty well-lit area, and it feels like my mirror never dims enough. Tinting the rear window helped a little, but not enough. It never occurred to me to find the sensor and put some tint over it, but I gotta give that a shot.

I have the mirror you speak of, when it bothers me, I simply turn it off.

I'm thinking about getting a Legacy sedan (for myself, the wagon is my wife's car). The ones at nearby dealers all seem to have the fancy auto-dimming mirror with a compass display in the mirror glass (not the homelink one with the compass in the frame below the glass).

It seems to me that it might be annoying to have the compass blocking part of the view in the mirror. Anybody have one of these and like to comment? Thanks!

I liked the compass and auto dim before I got my tint. Now it doesn't really matter that much. 5% will do that. I can see out just fine, and the big 4X4's with the bright lights don't bother me at all ;)

The compass will not be an issue for vision. It's pretty small. Now the folks in the SUV's and mini-vans with the 9" DVD screen flipped down...that's an issue.

First thing I do after starting the car is turn off the compass and autodim if it's not dark outside. When I first got the LGT it seemed like the mirror hung down too low and blocked too much forward vision, especially when trying to look to the right during a turn. The compass/auto dim feature adds some extra height to the mirror. Also don't think the auto dim dims enough. Can you turn off the compass on the model where it's in the glass?

I drive in a pretty well-lit area, and it feels like my mirror never dims enough. Tinting the rear window helped a little, but not enough. It never occurred to me to find the sensor and put some tint over it, but I gotta give that a shot.

On my way to work this morning I held my finger over the sensor and was really surprised to see how dark the mirror can get. I'm pretty sure it's never gotten that dim at night under normal use... Now I gotta see if some tape/film/whatever will get it to dim enough at night without dimming too much during the day.

It never occurred to me to even look for the sensor until this thread came up btw. Learning all the time. :)

Archived