LegacyGT.com

Under Warranty?

Car throws a CEL. CEL is steady with the Cruise control light Blinking. Lose power on the car. This happened once before about 8 months ago, dealer told me it was a TGV or TVG.. (whatever) valve. They replace the valve, under warranty, and off i go happy to have turbo again. Last week the same light combo appears, car is sluggish. After 24 hours the light goes away and the car is back to normal. I take it to a different dealer, i've moved so this one was closer, and and tell them about the CEL and the loss of power. I tell them it may be the TGV valve again. I wait about an hour they say they cleared the light, which wasn't on any longer, and tell me to come back as soon as the light comes back. They claim i put my foot on the gas when i start my car, (bulls#$t) which threw the code. They charge me $60. I thought the CEL was covered under warranty? Car has 22k miles I asked them about the charge and they said every dealer does it from Honda to Nissan. Is this true or did i get shafted?

Any advice, similar complaints please let me know.

Call up SOA (1-800-782-2783) and ask them if the car is under 36,000 miles, will a dealer charge me to look at my car if a CEL is on. They will say no, and kindly ask them to call the dealer who forced the bill on you.
enough zip ties and duct tape will fix anything.

+1 ream

you should ask them exactly what that code means so they have to explain themselves. also, putting your foot on the gas pedal while starting just causes the engine to crank and not start. is supposed to be useful if you have a flooded engine because this clears it out, and will NOT cause a CEL. i use it sometimes if its cold outside (few seconds) to move the engine + oil around before starting it and submitting it to the stresses of a cold start.

no problems here. oh, and +1 for calling SOA

They claim i put my foot on the gas when i start my car, (bulls#$t) which threw the code. They charge me $60. I thought the CEL was covered under warranty?

It looks like you got shafted by their diag, but not by paying for the time. CELs are not warranty items, they are indicators of problems. Inside 3/36 most of these problems are covered, but if the problem wasn't caused by a defect, you pay. Face it- you can destroy anything on your car even if nothing in it is defective. Your new dealer determined that it was something you did that threw the CEL, so why should SOA or your new dealer pay for the time?

It sounds like their diag was BS, but I can't back that opinion. They probably didn't list the fault code on your copy of the RO, so call them up and ask (be nice!). It should be on their paper copy. Then call your first dealer up and ask them what the code was when they replaced your valve. What seems like the same problem to you could be any number of actual problems. I'm willing to bet it's not that valve again, because then the new shop would have replaced it.

There's got to be someone here who can take your codes and give you some better guesses.

Archived