LegacyGT.com

Questions about Resonators and Cat's?

SpawnGT

1. is anyone runnning straight pipes form the engine with no cats or resonators? some poeple ive read have 3inch piping coming from the engine with mufflers? how do you like this system? did you feel the power?

2. how restrictive in terms of air flow is the 1st catalycitic converter in the downpipe(closest to the turbo)? how restricitive in terms of sound?

3. how restrictive in terms of air flow is the 2nd catalycitic converter in the downpipe(the one in the midpipe or at the end of a full downpipe)? how restricitive in terms of sound?

4. how restrictive in terms of air flow is the resonator lovated on the intermiediatepipe(between midpipe and y-pipe)? how restricitive in terms of sound?

if someone has pics or info or even dyno results of how eachone affects sound and air flow/relieving of back presurue please chime in, becuase i dont want to mess up my own engine nor make my suby sound anything that is not a suby. Thank you guys.

Thank you NSFW for your answer, as it is its 440 in the morning and my brain is 60% on Neurobiology midterm that i have at 8am, and 40% on legacygt. right now i have an Upipe by FLoW, and an shorty Down by Crucial, as well as an electrical exhasut cutout on my midpipe with straight 2.5inch pipes coming from each of the Y-pipes.

Partial answer to #1 here:

http://www.legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=56732

If you have an 05 or 06, the 1st cat is actually in the up-pipe, not the down-pipe. Quite a few people here have replaced one or both with a catless or high-flow-cat version and gotten significant power increases (when combined with engine tuning). It's often referred to as "stage 2" modification, you'll find plenty of dyno charts if you search.

I have no idea about the resonator's effect on power, nor the affect that any of these changes have on noise. Hopefully others will chime in.

Archived