LegacyGT.com

Strange whistling problem

azca

I have a similar, but different whistling noise on my 06 OB 3.0R. Mine is intermittent, apparently temperature independent, and only occurs at slow speeds, 10-15mph down to 1 mph. Mine does not sound like a wheel bearing, it sounds like a motor of some sort, and it does not sound like brake pads. It goes zzzzzzzuuuhhh. It is moderately high pitched, but not like a belt that squeeks. It will make the noise without applying the brakes. I told the dealer, but of course that was not the day it was making the noise. I am not crazy, my wife has heard it also.

Took mine in on Friday and it was the rear passenger side wheel bearing, and it was replaced under warranty. The sound wasn't too loud but I could hear it pretty well when going over 30mph and knew something was wrong.

• 2 months later...

I had a squeaking/metallic squeal for a couple days and it was driving me crazy. Then someone brought to my attention that it could be the backing plate touching the rotor.

How'd that happen???

Well, a couple days before I had done some suspension work and rested the knuckles on wood....and it bent the plate jussssst enough to get it to touch the rotor.

So, make sure to push your backing plates/dust shields after working on the car if you're in that area.

"If we are to guard against ignorance and remain free, it is the responsibility of every American to be informed." - T. Jefferson

I haven't touched the suspension but I did pull off that wheel to see if there was something between the pad and the rotor. Everything looked fine, including the dust plate.

I only have 8300 miles on my '06, so I'm kind of shocked.

I've got an appointment with the dealer on Wednesday. I'll update then.

My '06 is having the same whistling problem. I've been suspecting it's the bearing and now I'm pretty sure, after reading this thread. Great info, guys.

I'll call the dealer today.

To rule out the mirror drive around and when you hear the noise fold the mirror in and see if it persists. Or just put your hand in FRONT of the crease where the mirror and mount meet and see if it's still there.

I sometimes get this noise and I KNOW it's not the wheel bearings because when I place my hand in front of the crease or fold the mirror in the noise is gone.

I'm absolutely positive it's not the mirror but I'll do this to humor everyone, including myself. It'll do this at low speeds and I can hear what sounds like the bearing grinding slightly underneath the squeal/whistle, which is much less intense at lower speeds. It'll even do this in a parking garage with just about no air movement at all. The sound itself does mimic an air leak at times but it can get pretty loud and sound a lot more like metal grinding at high pitch.

The other thing is that it doesn't do this at all times and when it is going to make the noise, it's only after 15-20 minutes of driving and only when it's pretty hot outside.

Can the mirror whistle be heard with the window up? I can't hear it at all with the window up unless I'm driving next to a wall and the reverbed sound comes back towards me.

EDIT-

After some back-and-forth with the dealer, it turns out it was a bad wheel bearing. It was replaced along with a bad brake rotor under the warranty. The car had ~8500 miles on the odo.

Archived