LegacyGT.com

Summer wheels/tires in NJ: 17" or 18"

GTLTDGOLFR

I'm recommencing my search for my summer wheels and tires. I live in central NJ. Road conditions are average. Was thinking 18" for sure until someone here indicated that I might be better off w/ 17", but I'm not sure why. Which do you recommend and, for us with less knowledge, why would also be helpful.

just getting ready to order new rims myself

i decided to go conservative and give myself more sidewall and get the 17''

no question the 18'' would look better but with the nasty potholes in ct and the amount of driving i do 17'' rims will have a longer life expectancy

I have had no problems with my stock 18's and summer tires this summer. And since I am lucky enough to be able to leave my car in the garage when it snows, I am not too sure how poorly the summer tires will perform on the snow. I did take it out the day after our last snowfall and the tires are pretty bad at stopping you in light snow.

If you drive alot in the winter, I would recomend 17's and save the 18's for the summer. Or at the very least, get 18's with all season tires...and look out for potholes.

Guest JessterCPA

My rims have taken such a beating, that personally, I would not consider 18's anymore.

Just my .02.

Jesse

I lost a tire to a pothole after less than a year of driving in Northern NJ (Rt. 80) with stock wheels/tires. I can't recommend 18's to anyone either.

Get some 17's with stiff sidewall, unless you are sure that the roads that you drive on are decent. Mine are not :lol:

The Dude - Two inches and counting...:lol:

Archived