LegacyGT.com

Outback XT wanders on the road???

I've had my XT for two weeks now and it seems to me that compared to my 2000 Outback wagon, this car is difficult to keep in the lane if your eyes aren't constantly on the road. The steering seems twitchy and required contant attention to make slight corrections. And, I'm not talking about crowned road surfaces! My "old" Outback could be cornering and I could look away for a few seconds, look back, and still be on course. Does anyone know what could be causing this. The car tracks pretty well on straight roads when hands are removed from the steering wheel..... dave

That sounds kinda odd, I've put plenty of test drive miles on many XT's and the steering always felt very tight and precise. Not floaty at all like my 2003 OB, maybe when I buy an 05 I'll find out more...

Hmm, I wonder if it's because the steering is so much quicker?? I love the steering on my new OB XT, but it felt a little nervous to me at first compared to my 02 LL Bean. Actually, I always thought the 02 steering was a little dead and sloppy. The 05 is a nice change. Anyway, I think I got used to it because it seems fine to me now. If it's still bad in a couple weeks, maybe get the alignment checked. It would not be unheard for the alignment to be off from the factory. Craig

I've had my XT LTD 5MT for over a month, after trading my 00 OB. I think you're noticing a much tighter steering response from the 05 compared to your old OB.....slight movement of the steering wheel, and you're on a new trajectory. I like the new response....I hated the floaty feeling of my 00.

[quote name='tbd']In short - not on my XT. The only odd bit I have noticed about the XT is when I hit a bump in a corner. The car seems to wobble back and forth a bit. Maybe it is underdamped??[/QUOTE] That's about normal for a car with this much ground clearance. If you think the 05 has a noticeble wobble, you should have felt the 00-04 models! The 05 is a lot more stable. CRaig

[quote name='c_hunter']That's about normal for a car with this much ground clearance. If you think the 05 has a noticeble wobble, you should have felt the 00-04 models! The 05 is a lot more stable. CRaig[/QUOTE] Agreed. I drove something like an 01 as a loaner when my prior subie was in the shop. The 05 is more refined. At this point though I am not used to how/when the XT is going to wiggle.

My truck wandered off the road two weekends ago, and look what happened... I hate it when they do that, it cost me another $20 at the truck-wash place. Bad-Truck-Bad!! [img]http://memimage.cardomain.net/member_images/4/web/508000-508999/508566_24_full.jpg[/img]

• 2 weeks later...
it would be interesting if you would post what air pressure you have in your tires. mine were 7 pounds low iin each tire the spare also. so it my have been hot the day that the dealer check them .it's about 30 dregees colder now.

[quote name='X-RAY']it would be interesting if you would post what air pressure you have in your tires. mine were 7 pounds low iin each tire the spare also. so it my have been hot the day that the dealer check them .it's about 30 dregees colder now.[/QUOTE] My dealer told me they had the pressure at the recommended levels of 32 front/30 rear at my last oil change. The car handled the same squirmy way for the entire 6,000 miles I had the 92a's on there. The pressure in the new pilot sport A/S tires is also 32/30.

Archived